- Buy OEM Altova Umodel Enterprise 2009
- Buy OEM GFI FAXmaker 14.1
- Discount - Lynda.com - HTML5: Graphics and Animation with Canvas
- Buy Dreamweaver CS5: The Missing Manual (en)
- Download Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9
- Buy Cheap ABest Video to WMV SWF FLV Converter
- Download Jaksta MAC
- Download Adobe After Effects CS5 MAC
- Buy Autodesk AutoCAD 2012 (en)
- Buy OEM Autodesk AutoCAD Revit MEP Suite 2012
- Buy Autodesk AutoCAD Architecture 2014 (32-bit) (en,cs,de,es,fr,it,ko,pl,ru,zh)
- Buy OEM Thegrideon Access Password Professional 2.0
- Buy Lynda.com - Color Correction in Final Cut Pro X (en)
|Students Get Up Close with Government|
|Commentary/Politics - Letters to the Editor|
|Tuesday, 26 June 2001 18:00|
Democracy is more than a spectator sport; for it to survive and flourish, we all must become active, engaged citizens. This is the message I heard from 86 students representing 12 Quad City-area high schools, who recently participated in the Close Up Foundation government-studies program in Washington, D.
For a full week, these youth had unique opportunities to develop a better understanding of our democratic process. History, government, and current issues came alive for them through meetings with congressional leaders, political advisors, and journalists. In addition, they learned from other Close Up participants from across the nation through daily debates and discussions.
Most important, they returned home with a deeper awareness of their responsibilities as citizens and the realization that a single individual can make a difference. Their newfound enthusiasm for involvement in our system of democracy is to be admired.
The Close Up experience was made possible through the efforts of local educators and parents, and the financial support of the Alcoa Foundation, American Express Foundation, John Deere Foundation, and Wal-Mart Foundation. In addition, U.S. Representative Jim Leach provided fellowships for students from throughout his district. On behalf of Close Up, I commend the dedication of the Davenport community, and look forward to working with you for many years to come.
Quad City Coordinator,
Close Up Foundation
Tags See All Tags