- Buy Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate with SP2 (64bit) (en)
- Discount - Autodesk AutoCAD MEP 2014 (64-bit)
- Buy Adobe InCopy CC (Full LifeTime License) (en,da,de,es,fr,it,nl,nb,pt,sv,tr,hu,pl,fi,cs,ru,uk,ja,ko,zh)
- 99.95$ Microsoft Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 (32-bit) cheap oem
- Buy OEM Nik Software Silver Efex Pro MAC
- Discount - 4Media DVD to PS3 Converter 5
- Discount - Excel 2010 For Dummies Quick Reference
- Buy OEM Autodesk 3ds Max 2014 (64-bit)
- Discount - Adobe Flash Professional CS5 MAC
- Discount - Autodesk AutoCAD Architecture 2014 (32-bit)
- 49.95$ Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 cheap oem
- Download Lynda.com - Photoshop for Designers: Type Essentials
- Buy OEM Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Web Premium MAC
- Download Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
|Augustana College Theatre Department premiered The Bock-Eye|
|News Releases - Stage & Theatre|
|Written by Keri Rursch|
|Wednesday, 06 February 2013 15:52|
ROCK ISLAND, IL (02/06/2013)(readMedia)-- In continuation of its 2012-13 season, Balancing Acts, the Department of Theatre Arts at Augustana College premiered The Bock-Eye, January 25-27 and February 1-3.
Students who performed in the play include:
Calvin Vo, a senior from Moline, Ill., majoring in English and theatre arts, performed as A God.
Rowan Crow, a first year from Coal Valley, Ill., majoring in liberal studies, performed as the Mother and Bacchae.
The Bock-Eye is a bold and bawdy postmodern adaptation inspired by Euripides' Greek tragedy The Bacchae. Written by acclaimed American playwright Tommy Smith, The Bock Eye is an interesting blend of old and new-a retelling of an ancient story, but with a strong contemporary attitude. This incredible story of dark revenge is sure to thrill.
Returning guest director Saffron Henke compares the new adaptation of the play as follows: "The theme of The Bacchae might be 'Don't mess with Dionysus or you'll get it', but the theme of The Bock-Eye is more like 'That dark Dionysian thing inside you will come out, no matter what you do,' and even The God himself is not safe from it. Overall, Tommy [Smith] was very true to the original play, doing an almost line-by-line condensing of the material, with the exception of an added prologue, and different ending."
Dramaturg Gregory Donley '14, a theatre arts and classics major from Silvis, Ill., added "Dionysus is clearly a cruel and angry god in both works, but Tommy Smith adds a tongue-in-cheek humor to the character, without detracting from his power. Pentheus is also unchanged, and remains a generally foolish king who cannot resist his own morbid curiosity towards the practices of the cult. Though much of the tone is changed, the songs written and sung by the chorus serve as a very strong connection to the style of Greek theater."
About Augustana: Founded in 1860, Augustana College is a selective four-year residential college of the liberal arts and sciences. Augustana is recognized for the innovative program Augie Choice, which provides each student up to $2,000 to pursue a high-impact learning experience such as study abroad, an internship or research with a professor. Alumni include 140 Academic All-Americans, a Nobel laureate, 12 college presidents and other distinguished leaders. The college enrolls 2,500 students and is located along one of the world's most important waterways, the Mississippi River, in a community that reflects the diversity of the United States.
Tags See All Tags