- Discount - SmithMicro Stuffit Deluxe 15 MAC
- Discount - Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium All-in-One For Dummies
- Discount - Corel WordPerfect Office X4 Standard
- Buy Cheap GFI EventsManager 8.1
- Buy Cheap Lynda.com - Wedding Photography for Everyone: Fundamentals
- Download The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers
- Buy OEM Adobe Flex Builder Professional 3 MAC
- Buy Cheap Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard Student And Teacher Edition
- Buy OEM Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2015 (64-bit)
- Buy Cheap Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2011
- Buy OEM Adobe CS Production Premium for Final Cut Studio Editors
- Discount - Adobe Captivate 3
- Buy Cheap Lynda.com - CSS Positioning Best Practices
|2012 Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival Performers Announced|
|News Releases - Local Events|
|Written by Heather Venema|
|Friday, 18 May 2012 13:51|
RDA announces $20,000 grant at festival
Yesterday, May 15, 2012, the lineup was announced for the 41st annual Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival, including artists from Florida, Texas and Michigan. Some of the performers include Wally’s Warehouse Waifs, Andy Schumm, Bill Allred’s Classic Jazz Band, and the Dave Bennett Quartet. For a complete listing, visit http://www.bixsociety.org/
In addition to announcing the Jazz Festival performers and events, the Memorial Society introduced a new scholarship opportunity for area schools. Individual scholarships will still be available to high school seniors, but the Society will begin awarding a $500 scholarship to the music department of a local school too. “Being a member of the Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Youth Band gave me the chance to become involved with the Jazz Society and learn about traditional jazz and its importance,” said Christina Hesse, a 2011 scholarship winner who is currently attending Western Illinois University.
During the announcement, a representative from the Riverboat Development Authority was present to share that a $20,000 grant had been awarded to the festival.
Some of the special events at this year’s Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival include a big band dance on Friday, the gravesite performance on Saturday, a jazz brunch on Sunday morning, and the closing Afterglow event on Sunday evening. Part of this year’s performances will include Friday and Saturday night outdoor concerts in LeClaire Park.
“The rich history and tradition found here in Davenport are true treasures,” said Davenport Mayor Bill Gluba. “The Jazz Festival attracts jazz aficionados from around the world, and this year’s lineup will surely live up to expectations.”
The 41st annual Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival will be held August 2-5, 2012, at the Adler Theater, the Mississippi Room of the RiverCenter, and at LeClaire Park in Davenport. By partnering with the City of Davenport, the performances at LeClaire Park on Friday and Saturday evening will be free, as they are considered part of the Summer Concert Series. Individual concert tickets, day passes and festival passes are available online at www.bixsociety.org
The Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Society was founded in 1972 to carry on the memory and music of Leon “Bix” Beiderbecke. The Society hosts annual events such as the Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival, in conjunction with jazz education programs to raise awareness about traditional jazz music.
Tags See All Tags