Valentine’s Day Isn’t about Being Alone; It’s about Being Yourself, Says Self-Empowerment Entrepreneur
There’s a reason Neil Sedaka’s “Breaking Up is Hard to Do” became a pop classic – because it’s true!
But breakups can also be a time to reflect and embark on a new chapter in your life, says Jay Ryan.
“Many people have been through a romantic heartbreak, which can be among life’s biggest challenges. But being single after a committed relationship can also be a good time to rejuvenate yourself,” says Ryan, co-founder of breakupgems.com, an online retailer specializing in breakup and divorce jewelry that “celebrates new beginnings.”
“We cater to the growing number of people looking for meaningful ways to bring closure to their past and move forward with confidence,” he says.
For those who’ve recently experienced a split, Ryan shares several ways to turn your breakup into a makeover -- a “breakover.”
• Empower yourself with the gift of health. It’s almost a cliché that exes lose weight after splitting up; some lose their appetite due to melancholy and some are motivated to look and feel better with exercise and dieting. Don’t punish yourself with spartan regimens, Ryan advises. Eat nutritious foods and train sensibly.
• Treat yourself to a new wardrobe. Clothing can be the bearers of painful reminders, like the sweater he or she got you last year. Consider freshening up your style with new clothes – hey, you’ll probably need them anyway with all that exercise. A new wardrobe can serve as a healthy reminder of the new you.
• Be proactive with your reading. There are many genres of self-help literature, from spiritual to academic. But don’t limit yourself to nonfiction; classic literature not only gives you a great education, it also helps readers increase empathy and better understand emotional complexity.
• Consider a healthy reminder of the new you. It’s a tradition in our society to commemorate a romantic union or celebration with jewelry. Your breakup may likewise be a blessing that allows you to grow as an individual. Consider a ring or other piece of jewelry that will not only mark this milestone but be a personal reminder of your transformation and new beginning.
• Travel adds perspective on a new journey. Whether or not you realize it, a breakup is the beginning of a new life trajectory. Travel – whether it’s time for a change of domestic scenery or a vacation – perfectly symbolizes a new journey. Overcoming a painful separation requires an outside perspective, which is often gained through travel.
• Invite friends over for a dinner party. The depression that is liable to ensue after a breakup often leads to isolation, but that is when you most need your friends! Why not host a breakup party? Rather than blowing it out with a large group of people, which may include strangers, keep it simple with intimate friends you can trust.
About Jay Ryan
Jay Ryan is the co-founder of BreakupGems.com, an online retailer that specializes in fine breakup and divorce jewelry. Each piece in the collection conveys an empowering message of freedom and renewal with designs that are both stylish and meaningful for anyone overcoming a recent breakup or simply celebrating happy singlehood.