- Discount - Microsoft Access 2013
- Buy Cheap Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5
- Download Cheetah 3D 5 MAC
- Download Autodesk Alias Design 2013 (64-bit)
- 19.95$ Acala DVD Creator 3 cheap oem
- Buy OEM Lynda.com - MySQL Essential Training
- Download Adobe Illustrator CS4 MAC
- Buy Cheap Lynda.com - Create Your First Online Store with Drupal Commerce
- Buy OEM Lynda.com - Word 2013 Essential Training
- Buy Cheap How to Do Everything Adobe Photoshop CS4
- Buy Altova XMLSpy 2009 (en)
- Buy MacPhun Intensify (en)
- Buy Cheap Lynda.com - CSS Positioning Best Practices
- Buy Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 Student And Teacher Edition MAC (en,ja)
|Avoiding deer-car collisions this time of year|
|News Releases - General Info|
|Written by Janet Masters|
|Monday, 03 October 2011 12:19|
Fall into defensive driving habits to reduce the risk of deer-car collisions
Madison, Wis. (September 29, 2011) – Fall has arrived, and so has the time when motorists in many states are more likely to encounter deer on streets and highways. Unfortunately, these meetings often result in a serious traffic accident.
Hundreds of thousands of animal-vehicle crashes occur each year, the majority with deer. This results in millions of dollars of damages, injuries and in some cases, even death.
Sometimes these accidents are unavoidable, particularly during the fall months into early winter when deer are active and breeding. However, attentive drivers can take several simple precautions to reduce the likelihood of these encounters resulting in a traffic accident.
For 2010, American Family customers in the company’s 19 operating states submitted claims for animal-vehicle crashes totaling nearly $84.5 million, with Wisconsin ($23.4 million), Missouri ($15.7 million) and Minnesota ($10.9 million) reporting the highest numbers, accounting for more than 58 percent of claims, with an average cost per claim of $2,573 (see chart below for statistics on the top 12 states among the 19 states in which American Family operates).
Here are some defensive driving tips to help avoid deer-vehicle accidents:
• Fasten your seatbelt. It’s simple common sense and the best defense in the event a crash is unavoidable.
• Pay attention to deer-crossing signs.
• Be especially alert at dawn and dusk. These are the times deer are most active.
• If you see one deer, expect more to follow. Deer typically travel in single file.
• If you see a deer on the road, brake firmly and blow your horn.
• If a crash is unavoidable, don’t swerve! Studies show the most serious crashes occur when motorists swerve to avoid a deer and hit another vehicle or object, or roll over.
One preventative measure you might hear about is the use of deer whistles. Deer whistles produce ultrasonic noise when the vehicle they are attached to exceeds 30 mph. The idea is the deer will be warned upon hearing the noise. It’s unclear whether deer hear the noise, but regardless, studies show the whistles have no effect on deer behavior, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
If you do strike a deer, contact the authorities. You may be legally required to report an accident with significant vehicle damage, depending on state laws. Also contact your insurance company to report your claim. Collision with an animal is covered under the comprehensive section of your auto insurance policy. Since comprehensive coverage is optional, be sure to check your auto insurance policy for specific coverages.
2010 American Family claims for animal hits*
Ranked by number of claims
State Number of Claims Cost of Claims
Wisconsin 9,051 $23,449,682
Missouri 6,060 $15,748,155
Minnesota 4,366 $10,910,038
Kansas 2,366 $6,677,384
Illinois 1,807 $4,805,393
Iowa 1,770 $4,675,789
Ohio 1,206 $3,001,267
Indiana 1,193 $3,024,176
South Dakota 1,154 $2,777,437
Nebraska 904 $2,553,822
Colorado 832 $2,797,008
North Dakota 698 $1,637,216
Average cost per claim $2613
*Top 12 states
Based in Madison, Wis., American Family Insurance offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, life insurance, health insurance, business and farm/ranch insurance in 19 states. American Family insurance ranks 358th on the Fortune 500 list and is the nation's third-largest mutual property/casualty insurance company
Tags See All Tags