- Buy Cheap CorelDRAW Technical Suite X6 (64-bit)
- Buy OEM Excel 2013 All-in-One For Dummies
- Buy Cheap Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
- Buy Cheap Corel PhotoImpact X3
- Discount - Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Design Premium MAC
- Buy Cheap Autodesk 3Ds Max 2008
- Discount - Nuance PDF Converter Professional 6
- Download Rosetta Stone - Learn Hindi (Level 1, 2 & 3 Set) MAC
- Download Photoshop CS4: Top 100 Simplified Tips and Tricks
- Download Alien Skin Exposure 5
- Download Word 2007 For Dummies
- Buy OEM Autodesk Toxik 2008
- Buy OEM Adobe Visual Communicator 3
|David Plowden's Iowa Opens at the Figge|
|News Releases - Art, Galleries & Museums|
|Written by Susan Horan|
|Wednesday, 09 May 2012 12:43|
Davenport, IOWA (May 2012). David Plowden's Iowa will open at the Figge Art Museum on Saturday, May 12 and run through August 19, 2012. The product of a collaboration between Humanities Iowa, the Figge and several other museums in the state, the exhibition features over fifty black and white photographs that showcase familiar as well as never seen images of Plowden’s beloved Iowa.
Iowa has been a subject of David Plowden’s photography since 1983 when a commission by Smithsonian magazine to photograph corn first introduced the native of the East Coast to Iowa. Since this initial visit, Plowden has returned to Iowa time and again, seeking to convey his impressions and experience of Iowa as a uniquely American “place.”
“The notion that home is a place integral to a person’s sense of self is not a novel concept. Identifying a geographic region as the Middle-West or the heartland implies that it is a place central to a country’s identity – the very heart of America. In Plowden’s own words, it is not possible to understand America without a visit to the Midwest,” says Figge Associate Curator Rima Girnius.
Mr. Plowden will be featured in at 7pm Art Talk at the Figge on Thursday, May 17. During the Art Talk, Associate Curator Rima Girnius will interview Mr. Plowden about his long career, and his photographs on display in David Plowden's Iowa. The Figge will host a public reception for the exhibition prior to Mr. Plowden’s talk. The reception begins at 6pm. The reception and Art Talk are free with membership or paid admission.
The Figge Art Museum is located on the riverfront in Davenport at 225 West Second Street. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, Sundays 12-5 p.m. and Thursdays 10 a.m.-9 p.m. To contact the museum, please call 563.326.7804, or visit our website, www.figgeartmuseum.org.
Tags See All Tags