|Discovery Shop Celebrates 25 years of fighting cancer|
|News Releases - Not-for-Profit News|
|Written by Jamie Sons|
|Friday, 08 March 2013 14:31|
The Bettendorf Discovery Shop will mark our 25th anniversary on Thursday, March 14th. We are excited to celebrate the volunteers, donors, and shoppers that have made the Discovery Shop such a great fundraising success.
One of the ways that we will be celebrating on Thursday will be with the start of our Jewelry Trunk Show event. All of the beautiful items that we have been saving will help to make the shop look its best for our anniversary. Jewelry of all kinds, jewelry boxes, plus a donation of over 1000 pieces of Avon jewelry will make it an event worth seeing.
We want to say “Thank You” to the generous supporters that the Discovery Shop has had over the years, without their help our success would not have been possible.
Other Discovery Shop facts:
· The first Discovery Shop in Iowa opened for business in Bettendorf on April 13, 1988, after Frank Folwell and Angie Tavegia volunteered to take on the project of opening a local Discovery Shop.
· The Discovery Shop gladly accepts donations of gently used men’s, women’s and children’s clothing and accessories, collectibles, jewelry, furniture, and decorating items for the home.
· All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society to support programs of research, education, advocacy, and patient care.
· The shop is staffed by a manager and a group of about 70 volunteers, (several of whom were a part of originally starting the shop) who clean and iron each piece of clothing, sort all of the donations that come in, put together displays, help all of our customers, and many other tasks. It is a group effort that has been a success thanks to everyone that donates time, items, and of course to our loyal customers.
· With the generosity of the donors and volunteers the Bettendorf shop has raise over $3 million dollars since the doors were opened. The goal for 2013 is to raise over $345,000.00 for the American Cancer Society.
· Shop hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 am to 5 pm, Thursday 10 am to 7 pm, and Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm.
· The store is located at 2397 Cumberland Sq. Dr., Bettendorf, or we can be found on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/
Having cancer is hard. Finding help shouldn't be.
If you or a loved one has a question or concern about cancer, call your American Cancer Society anytime day or night for information, day-to-day help, or emotional support. We are here for you at 1.800.223.2345 or www.cancer.org.
Tags See All Tags