QUAD CITIES—Volunteers at the ninth annual Xstream Cleanup on Saturday, August 11 removed approximately 47,407 pounds of debris from area waterways and illegal dumpsites. Cleanups were held at 43 locations in Bettendorf, Buffalo, Davenport, LeClaire, McCausland and Lost Grove Lake, in Iowa; Milan, Moline, Rock Island and Silvis, in Illinois.
• 1,476 volunteers worked a total of 4,226 hours and collectively gathered 1,499 bags of trash, 658 tires, 16 appliances, 16 bicycles, 22 pieces of furniture, 37 televisions and 16 mattresses. This was the equivalent of 28,840 pounds of trash, 15,744 pounds of tires, 1,200 pounds of appliances, 368 pounds of bicycles, 330 pounds of televisions and 925 pounds of mattresses for a grand total of 47,407 pounds. In addition, volunteers removed 46,060 pounds of material from Living Lands and Waters’ barge. The material was hand sorted by volunteers and 30,000 pounds were recycled.
Additional items found, not reflected in the pounds above, included:
• Construction-related items: wire fencing, wood, metal, construction debris, road construction sign, barricade, tarp, barrels, chain link fence.
• Weaponry: partial gun, knife, BB gun, handgun without the barrel (turned into police), holster & bullets.
• Children’s-related items: slippy slide, kiddie pools, bounce house, stroller, scooter, Batman belt, basketball, soccer ball, goal post.
• Automotive-related items: car parts, car bumper, windshield, 25 car batteries, car fender, tire rim, motorcycle front end, engine block.
• Home-related items: box spring, bed frame, kitchen sink, carpet, toilet, bathroom sink, vacuum cleaner, grill, grill cover, lawn chair, futon.
• Miscellaneous items: wedding dress, backpack, high heels, jewelry, a concrete elephant, moonshine parts, purse and several drivers’ licenses, wallet with driver’s license, dollar bill, check, cash register.
In addition, this year the following locations worked on beautification efforts:
• Greenvalley Nature Preserve in Moline: chipped 10 yards of European Buckthorn.
• Fairmount Cemetery in Davenport: removed one 50 foot long by 15 foot wide trailer of brush from the prairie.
• Nahant Marsh in Davenport: removed seven 12 foot trailers of brush from the prairie.
Photos of several cleanup sites can be viewed on-line at www.xstreamcleanup.org
This event was sponsored by the following:
Presenting Sponsors: Group O and Riverboat Development Authority.
Platinum Sponsors: Alcoa, iLivehere® and Living Lands & Waters.
Gold Sponsors: Community Foundation of the Great River Bend, Iowa American Water, Rock Island County Waste Management Agency and The Moline Foundation.
Silver Sponsors: Alter Metal Recycling, DHL Global Forwarding, Independent Insurance Agents of Scott County, McCarthy-Bush Corporation, Oystar Packaging Technologies, Quad City Conservation Alliance, Radish magazine, Sears Seating and Wallace’s Garden Center.
Bronze Sponsors: Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Downtown Davenport Partnership, Eastern Iowa Grain Inspection, Mel Foster Company, Midas Auto Systems Experts and THE National Bank.
Logistics Sponsors: Cities of Bettendorf, Buffalo, Davenport, LeClaire, McCausland, Milan, Moline, Rock Island and Silvis. Allied Waste, Bi-State Regional Commission, Keep Rock Island Beautiful, Partners of Scott County Watersheds, River Roots Live and Waste Commission of Scott County.