|Illinois National Guard Celebrates 290th Birthday|
|News Releases - Military & Veterans News|
|Written by Illinois National Guard PAO|
|Thursday, 09 May 2013 14:44|
SPRINGFIELD, IL (05/08/2013)(readMedia)-- The Illinois National Guard will celebrate its 290th birthday. The Illinois National Guard Command Historian, Adriana Schroeder of Springfield recently discovered evidence of the first muster of militia, the precursor to the Illinois National Guard. Re-enactor in period uniforms will demonstrate equipment and weapons from the 1700s and an official proclamation signed by Gov. Pat Quinn will be read during the ceremony.
• Brig. Gen. William Cobetto, Assistant Adjutant General –Air
• Illinois National Guard Soldiers and Airmen
• Illinois National Guard and Militia Historical Society Living History Detachment
• School Children from throughout Sangamon County
• The Illinois National Guard will celebrate its 290th birthday.
• The birth date of the Illinois National Guard, May 9, 1723 was determined last year after months of research by Adriana Schroeder of Springfield, the Illinois National Guard Command Historian.
• An official proclamation of the birthday, signed by Gov. Pat Quinn, will be read during the ceremony.
• Re-enactors from the Illinois National Guard and Militia Historical Society’s Living History Detachment in period uniforms will display uniforms, equipment and weapon from the 1700s.
WHEN: Thursday May 09, 2013 at 01:00PM Central Time (US & Canada)
WHERE:Illinois State Military Museum
Tags See All Tags