- Download Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student with SP1 (32-bit & 64-bit)
- Buy Cheap Kigo DVD Ripper 3 MAC
- Buy OEM Nik Software Viveza 2
- Download iPad: The Missing Manual
- Buy OEM Autodesk Alias Design 2012 MAC
- Buy OEM CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 (32-bit)
- Download Adobe Pagemaker 7
- Discount - Autodesk Maya 2012 MAC
- Discount - Photoshop CC For Dummies
- Buy OEM Apple Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- Buy OEM Lynda.com - HTML5: Graphics and Animation with Canvas
|Insurance Program Covers People with Pre-existing Conditions|
|News Releases - Health, Medicine & Nutrition|
|Written by Ginny Grimsley|
|Tuesday, 02 October 2012 15:09|
‘Care is Available in Every State,’ says Former Physician
With all the talk about health-care coverage for people with pre-existing conditions, it seems few people know coverage is available in every state as a result of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, says Dr. Dixie Swanson, a former television health reporter and physician, and a lupus patient.
“People can apply for the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan, which will not deny you coverage because you have asthma, diabetes or some other condition, and will not charge you more simply because of it,” says Swanson, the author of “The Accidental President Trilogy,” (www.dixieswanson.com). “In Washington D.C. and 23 states – including Florida, Massachusetts and Texas – it’s run by the federal government. Twenty-seven states run their own PCIP program.”
Policies vary from state to state and premiums may vary, but coverage can cost less than $200 a month. But a shockingly low number of people know about the coverage, Swanson says. As of July 31, there were 82,000 people enrolled. Maine had only 42 enrollees; California had the most, 11,118.
“Getting and keeping health insurance is Job One for many patients with chronic illness. This is a real step forward," Swanson says.
Here are some important things to know about PCIP:
About Dixie Swanson
Dixie Swanson was a pediatrician for 10 years and the Family Health Reporter for NBC’s Houston affiliate. She also spent time working for a Washington lobbyist with access to the White House. Dixie is the author of “The Accidental President Trilogy – a Political Fable for Our Time.”
Tags See All Tags