- 29.95$ Infinite Skills - Learning Pro Tools 11 MAC cheap oem
- Discount - Lynda.com - Muse Essential Training
- Download Ashampoo Cover Studio
- Download Lynda.com - Fireworks CS6 Essential Training
- 79.95$ Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 (32 bit) cheap oem
- Download Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with SP2 (32 bit)
- Discount - Microsoft Expression Studio 3
- Download Rosetta Stone - Learn Persian (Level 1, 2 & 3 Set)
- Buy Cheap Autodesk AutoCAD Mechanical 2009
- Buy OEM Microsoft Project 2010: The Missing Manual
- Buy Cheap Corel WordPerfect Office X4 Standard
|IOWA IRISH FEST SEEKS HIGHLAND GAMES ENTRANTS|
|News Releases - Sports & Recreation|
|Written by Lori Blackburn|
|Wednesday, 02 July 2014 15:54|
We want you for our traditional Gaelic heaving, lifting and tossing competitions.
WATERLOO, Iowa—Iowa Irish Fest is hosting the Highland Games on Friday and Saturday, August 1-2, in Waterloo’s Lincoln Park. A demonstration will take place from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday and the competition will be held from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday.
Traditional Gaelic games include heavy and light athletics. Heavy athletics are events in which participants must lift, heave, toss or throw objects, while light athletics are typically running and jumping events.
“I think it’s really important to keep traditions like the Highland Games going,” said Jennifer Cain, Iowa Irish Fest Highland Games committee chair. “We almost lost these ancient traditions, so it’s great to see these events are still going strong, not just at Iowa Irish Fest and in Iowa, but across the nation.”
At Iowa Irish Fest, the Highland Games are centered on the heavy athletic events. This year’s Highland Games will include:
Contestants must wear a kilt to compete, and event winners will each receive a trophy. There will also be light-weight versions of the Highland Games for children to learn more about the events and practice their skills.
Entrants can register at www.IowaHighlandGames.org/
The annual Iowa Irish Fest is put on by the Cedar Valley Irish Cultural Association, an organization intended to foster and develop Irish fellowship and outreach into the community with Irish cultural events and programs. Iowa Irish Fest will be held on August 1-3, 2014. Admission to the fest is just $15 for all three days, and children 12 and under are free. For more information or to volunteer, visit www.IowaIrishFest.com.
Tags See All Tags