|Keep Dad Healthy This Father’s Day|
|News Releases - General Info|
|Written by Kimberly Greene|
|Friday, 10 June 2011 13:15|
MILWAUKEE, WI – For many, June can be a month to take time out of busy schedules to appreciate and celebrate the men in our lives. With Father’s Day, June 19, quickly approaching, TOPS Club, Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), the nonprofit weight loss support organization, offers hints and tips to keep dad healthy and active. Whether you’re a member of TOPS or simply a member of a family, use these ideas to encourage Dad to live a healthy lifestyle year-round.
Give Dad the Gift of Health
• Be Dad’s exercise buddy. Make an effort to exercise regularly together, and schedule it on the calendar as a reminder. Working out with a partner encourages you to motivate and hold each other accountable.
• Does he like gadgets? Give him a pedometer or heart rate monitor. These tools will inspire Dad during his workouts and help him track progress and an ideal intensity level.• Help him unwind. A gift certificate for a massage will give Dad the opportunity to de-stress. Less stress is healthy for his mind and immune system.
• You’re never too old to make a homemade gift. Activity coupons are a great way to inspire a healthy lifestyle. Whether you offer him a hike, yard work help, or bike ride, an activity coupon will give you time to spend with each other and get you moving.• Gift him with a membership to TOPS. TOPS provides weight-loss support and wellness education for only $26 annually in the U.S. and $30 in Canada. Visit www.tops.org for more information or to find a chapter near you.
Celebrations typically include many indulgent meals. Use Father’s Day as an opportunity to make tasty, healthy food that the whole family can enjoy. When it comes to choosing snacks and meal options, these guidelines are easy to incorporate into Father’s Day festivities.
• Start his Father’s Day out on a healthy note. Serving Dad breakfast in bed not only shows that you appreciate him, but it also sets the tone for a healthy day. It may even inspire healthy breakfasts throughout the year. Oatmeal, fruit salad, cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs are examples of some delicious, hearty breakfast foods.• Have a heart-healthy cookout. Does your dad consider himself a “grill master?” Get creative with food choices to make the meal healthier. Turkey dogs, veggie burgers, buffalo burgers, and chicken are great options. Look for packages with a higher percentage of lean meat. If beef is more appealing, choose meat that is labeled “choice” or “select.” It also never hurts to throw some vegetables on the grill.
• Is he nuts about snacks? Almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts pack a lot of nutrition, including healthy fats, protein, Vitamin E, Omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. Suggest to Dad that he might want to consider swapping a handful of nuts for the traditional bag of chips.TOPS Club Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), the original, nonprofit weight-loss support and wellness education organization, was established more than 63 years ago to champion weight-loss support and success. Founded and headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, TOPS promotes successful, affordable weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness information, and support from others at weekly chapter meetings. TOPS has about 170,000 members in nearly 10,000 chapters throughout the United States and Canada.
Tags See All Tags