News Releases -
Military & Veterans News
Written by Illinois National Guard PAO
Wednesday, 14 May 2014 13:10
SPRINGFIELD, IL (05/14/2014)(readMedia)-- WHO:
• Illinois Army National Guard Lt. Col. Tammy Duckworth of Hoffman Estates, Ill.
• Several Memorial Day ceremonies across Illinois
• May 24, 12 p.m. - Grand Marshal of Chicago Memorial Day parade. The parade will start at 12 p.m. and proceed south on State Street from Lake Street to Van Buren.
• May 25, 11 a.m. -Streamwood Memorial Day ceremony; Streamwood Veterans Memorial next to the village hall at 301 E. Irving Park Road in Streamwood, Ill.
• May 26, 10:45 a.m. –Oak Ridge Cemetery at War Memorials, 1441 Monument in Springfield, Ill.
• May 26, 2 p.m. -Camp Butler National Cemetery Memorial Day, 5063 Camp Butler Road in Springfield, Ill.
• May 27, 9 a.m. -Athens High School, #1 Warrior Way in Athens, Ill.
• May 27, 2 p.m. –Trinity Lutheran School, 11503 German Church Road, Burr Ridge, Ill.
• 2014 marks the 10-year anniversary the aviation incident that injured Duckworth. She served in Iraq as an Assistant Operations Officer and flew combat missions as a Black Hawk helicopter pilot. During a mission north of Baghdad on Nov. 12, 2004 her aircraft was ambushed and a rocket-propelled grenade struck the helicopter she was co-piloting. She continued to attempt to pilot the aircraft until passing out from blood loss. As a result of the attack, Duckworth lost both her legs and partial use of one arm. She received many decorations for her actions, including the Purple Heart, the Air Medal and the Combat Action Badge.
• Duckworth spent the next year recovering at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. As one of the highest-ranking patients, she became an advocate for her fellow Soldiers and testified before Congress about caring for veterans and wounded warriors.
• She became the Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs in 2006.
• In 2009, President Obama appointed Duckworth to be Assistant Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
• Duckworth was elected to Congress in 2012.
• Duckworth lives in Hoffman Estates with her husband Bryan, an Army major. Since her recovery, Duckworth has taken up scuba diving, surfing, skydiving and flies as a civilian pilot. She has also completed several marathons.
• Enlisting in September 1991, Duckworth continues to serve with the Illinois Army National Guard.
• Duckworth's husband, Bryan Bowlsbey, is a major in the Illinois Army National Guard where he has served since 1987.
For additional information, please contact the Public Affairs office at 217-761-3569 or