Rock Island, IL: The Rock Island Public Library's Main Branch at 401 19th Street, will be closed to the public starting at noon on Thursday, Nov. 13 in order to transform the library into a star-studded stage for "Lights, Camera . . . Literacy!"
The Food for Thought fundraiser is an annual event hosted by the Rock Island Public Library Foundation, as a means of both raising awareness of the Foundation and of raising funds for special projects and improvements at all three libraries in Rock Island. Lights, Camera . . . Literacy!" offers guests a walk down the red carpet with food from guest chefs, complimentary beverages, musical entertainment by the Edgar Crockett Duo and Lee Blackmon, just for fun magic, palm and tarot card readings by donation, and bidding on a variety of silent auction items. The event is from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm at Rock Island Main Library, 401 19th Street.
Guests get the Main Library to themselves for a night of socializing and dining around food stations on the first and second floors. The selections include dishes from:
- Eudell Watts, III, of Eudell's Specialty Foods - Thai Lettuce Wrap
- Martha Cleveland of Blue Cat Brew Pub - Cakes and other desserts
- Annette Zapolis, of Cool Beanz Coffee House- Olives, flatbreads, cookie bars, brownies, coffee and more.
- Kitchen Express, a program of the Thurgood Marshall Learning Center - Hoisin Steak Rolls, Caramel Brownie Bites, and a Spicy Red Pepper Jelly/Lemon Goat Cheese Cracker
- Chef Craig Joos, HyVee of Rock Island- Hot pasta dish
- Chef Jose Zepeda of QC Coffee & Pancake House - Chef Jose's #1 Seller, Homemade Corned Beef Hash. Special Recipe Hand-Made Sausage Links, Biscuits & Gravy and a Rock Island Favorite, Orange Grand Marnier Pancakes.
- Main Street Catering (Rock Island Holiday Inn) - Mini desserts
Also on the menu are complimentary soda, water , coffee, wine tastings from wine retailer Thad Miller, and beer tastings from Dan Cleaveland, the brew master for Blue Cat Brew Pub. Food and complimentary beverages are included in admission. Just for fun tarot card and palm readings will be available on a donation basis by Lady Cassandra, advisor to the stars, with walk-around magic provided by the "Great Matthew."
A wide variety of silent auction items will also be available for bidding. Packages include auctions for a window cleaning service for up to 25 windows, a truckload of firewood to keep cozy all winter, an outdoor fire pit donated by Crawford Company, restaurant baskets, and handmade arts and crafts. Literary-themed baskets include a Christmas book and quilt from Joy Murphy, a book and DVD set of "The Roosevelts," "My Little Pony" graphic novels, and an Eric Carle The Very Hungry Caterpillar poster, board book, and hand-sewn felt caterpillar "food."
Guests who RSVP in advance receive preferred admission of $35 per person. To RSVP, please call 309-732-7326 or email
by 5:00 pm on Nov. 11. Walk-in admission without an advance RSVP is available at $40 per person. Admission is payable by cash, check or credit at the door.
While the Main Library will be closed after noon on Nov. 13, both the Rock Island 30/31 and Southwest Branches will be open for patrons with library needs, as will the library's online branch services at www.rockislandlibrary.org. For more information, visit the library website or call 309-732-READ.