May 2011 Recreation Events, for all events go online www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/parks to register or call 326-7812 for more information. Look this month for our special Davenport Parks and Recreation Summer Camps Brochure and Davenport Kids Passes ($50.00) which are available now. Please check our website for all classes, camps, and workshops on performing arts, sports leagues, volleyball camps and clinics, enrichment, Japanese, tumbling, martial arts, adaptive and inclusive programs and more!
- Alice in Wonderland-Junior Theatre Spring Main stage Show: Sat, April 30 & May 7th, 1 and 4pm, and Sun May 1st & May 8th, 2:00pm. Cost 5.00 per ticket. Call 326-7862 for more information.
- Adaptive Sports Expo: Life Fitness Center-Bettendorf. When: Sat May 7th, 6:00-8:00pm. Cost: Free! This expo will highlight the many ways people with disabilities can be active participants in recreational activities and sporting events. Please attend and see the demonstrations by professionally trained facilitators and athletes with disabilities.
- Garlic Mustard Challenge: Sat May 7th 9am-noon. Call Greg Wolf to register to help at Sunderbruch Park 326-7812. For more information visit www.extension.iastate.edu/scott
- Kindernature: LADYBUGS! Tues May 10th-10am-11:00am Vander Veer Conservatory. Cost 6.00. Participants will learn how ladybugs get their name and how they protect our plant world. Come and learn about these interesting beautiful insects.
- City of Davenport River Bandits Game (Make Up) Tues May 10th 7:00pm - come to Davenport Parks and Recreation to get your free tickets.
- Hersey Track and Field: Sat May 14th 8:00am-noon at Brady Street Stadium, 9-14 year olds can participate in this fun FREE track and field games experience.
- FAMILYFEST: Sat May 14th Noon-3:00pm at Centennial Park. Walk with the Director to follow this fun FREE family event. There will be games and activities spotlighting all the programs Davenport Parks and recreation offers to the community in the summer: The Mobile Playground, Camps, Tumbling, Martial Arts, ZUMBA, Yoga, Soccer, Gardening, and more-rain/flood location inside River's Edge.
- Annie Wittenmeyer Aquatic Center Opens Sat May 28th-Open Swim Hours 1:00-6:00pm Sat and Sun.
River's Edge- Located at 700 W. River Drive (Across from Modern Woodmen Park)
- Public Skate times: Fridays 6-8pm, Saturdays 11:45am-1:45pm and 6-8pm, and Sundays 2:30-4:30pm
- Skating Lessons begin May 5th. Sign up today! Thursdays 5:30-6:15pm or Saturdays 10:00-10:45am or 10:45-11:30am. 7 weeks * $80 includes skate rental
- Zumba classes every Tuesday and Thursday from 5pm to 6pm. Drop-ins are welcome. Cost is only $5 a day, and punch cards are available for multi-use packets.
- Adult Coed Dodge ball Tournament on Saturday May 21st.
- The Rivers Edge Turf is available for rental- We have Batting Cages, Volleyball nets, and Open Turf!!
- The Rivers Edge "Ultimate" summer camp begins May 31st. This camp will be fun and packed with exercise, sports and teamwork!
- A lottery will be held Wednesday May 4th, 2011 at 7pm at Red Hawk Golf & Learning Center 6364 NW Blvd, to assign available Standing Tee Times at both Emeis and Duck Creek Golf Courses for the 2011 golf season. Standing Tee Times are available on Saturdays and Sundays between 6 a.m. and 12 p.m. A list of these open tee times are available on www.golfdavenport.com. Call your favorite course for additional details.
- A minimum of 40 tee times are held open for the general public for the entire 2011 golf season, for both Saturday and Sunday Mornings. These tee times are available for reservation 3 days in advance. A list of open public times is available on www.golfdavenport.com.
- Duck Creek Golf Course is undergoing a stream-bank restoration project on Duck Creek waterway near the Kimberly Road Bridge. This project is being completed by the Public Works, Natural Resources Division.
- Davenport Golf Courses will be honoring our area Military and Veterans by complimenting their green fees during Military Appreciation Week, May 13-22.
- Golf Gift Cards - great for any occasion, are always available at Davenport golf shops, Parks and Recreation desk at Rivers Edge, and now at Vander Veer Park Store.
- Visit www.golfdavenport.com for the 2011 Golf fees, latest updates and information.