|Prodigious Pumpkin Squashes Competition at State Fair|
|News Releases - General Info|
|Written by readMedia|
|Monday, 15 August 2011 12:44|
DES MOINES, IA (08/12/2011)(readMedia)-- The giant pumpkin grown by Dan Carlson and Marc Peterson of Clinton tipped the scales at 1,295 pounds to claim the top spot and a $1,300 prize in the Big Pumpkin Contest judged Friday at the 2011 Iowa State Fair.
Steve Krug of Amana took second place and $750 with a pumpkin weighing in at 1,163 pounds. While growing large pumpkins for over a decade, this was Krug's first State Fair competition.
Don Young of Des Moines captured third place and $550 with a pumpkin weighing 1,024 pounds.
Fourth place and $350 was won by 78-year-old first-time entrant Teresa Beck of Onawa for her 970 pound pumpkin.
Complete results below:
1) Dan Carlson and Marc Peterson, Clinton; 1,295 pounds
2) Steve Krug, Amana; 1,163 pounds
3) Don Young, Des Moines; 1,024 pounds
4) Teresa Beck, Onawa; 970 pounds
5) John Shepherd, Charlotte, 800 pounds
6) Michael Otto, Newtown, Mo., 727 pounds
7) Patrick Beck, Onawa, 716 pounds
8) Martin Schnicker, Mt. Pleasant, 510 pounds
9) Joe Cristoforo, Mt. Pleasant, 375 pounds
10) Doug Smith, Mt. Pleasant, 247 pounds
"Nothing Compares" to the 2011 Iowa State Fair, celebrating 100 years of the Butter Cow August 11-21. The Fairgrounds are located at East 30th and East University Avenue, just 10 minutes east of downtown Des Moines, and are open 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. each day of the Fair. Exhibit hours may vary. For more information, call 800/545-FAIR or visit iowastatefair.org.
* * *
Tags See All Tags