- Discount - Lynda.com - Digital Photography Principles: The Camera
- Discount - Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection MAC
- Buy Cheap Intuit Quicken 2010 Home & Business
- Buy Corel Designer Technical Suite X5 (en)
- Buy Cheap Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Buy OEM Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise
- Discount - Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate
- Download Rosetta Stone - Learn German (Level 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 Set) MAC
- Buy Omni Group OmniGraffle 5 Professional MAC (en)
- Discount - Autodesk Mudbox 2014 (64-bit)
- Discount - Artlantis Studio 5 (64 bit)
- 199.95$ Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise (32-bit) cheap oem
- Buy OEM Linotype FontExplorer X Pro 4 MAC
- Download Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2 (32 bit)
|Psychological Abuse is the First Warning: Run, Get Out|
|News Releases - Health, Medicine & Nutrition|
|Written by Ginny Grimsley|
|Wednesday, 31 July 2013 13:55|
Psychological abuse can be as damaging to the psyche as physical abuse can be to the body, yet little is written about this common problem, which is typically the precursor to physical abuse. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV), 95 percent of men who physically abuse their intimate partners also psychologically abuse them.
Psychological abuse consists of impairing the mental life and impeding mental development. It creates distorted beliefs, taught by the abuser, about the world. Those beliefs become ingrained in the victim’s mind and can interfere with the flexibility that needed to constantly assess the environment and respond appropriately. Knowing the signs of psychological abuse may save women from the physical abuse that so often follows.
I experienced psychological abuse through the eyes of a child -- part of the stories I share in “Believe in the Magic: Let the Tenacity of Mattie Fisher Inspire You,” (www.mattiefisher.com), the story of my mother’s remarkable journey.
I watched as my father systematically and maliciously attempted to drive my mother crazy. He would constantly move car keys and other items from the places she normally kept them. He would then pretend to find them in odd places, like the refrigerator. After playing the hero for a month or so, my father would start insulting my mom with degrading remarks.
After months of psychological warfare, with her mental state sufficiently weakened, my father would begin the physical abuse. For the rest of her life, my mother was inconsolable and shaky whenever something went missing.
Signs of psychological abuse include:
• Your partner uses finances to control you.
Effects of psychological abuse on the victim, from the Center for Relationship Abuse Awareness:
• A distrust of his or her own spontaneity
If you answered yes to even one, you may be in an abusive relationship. Get help!
About Dee Louis-Scott
Dee Louis-Scott is the author of “Believe in the Magic: Let the Tenacity of Mattie Fisher Inspire You,” (www.mattiefisher.com), the story of her mother’s remarkable journey. Louis-Scott retired after working 30 years as a federal employee. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration. Scott has co-chaired the Black Family Technology Awareness Association’s Youth STEM Fair for nine years; its mission is to encourage studies in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math curriculum in urban communities. Twenty years since the death of her heroic mother, Mattie Fisher, Louis-Scott honors her life, which was experienced in a time in American history when it was a double-curse to be a black woman.
Tags See All Tags