- Buy Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 MAC (en,es,de,fr,it,ja)
- Buy Cheap Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended Student And Teacher Edition MAC
- Buy Cheap Autodesk Maya 2012 MAC
- 9.95$ Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended: Retouching Motion Pictures cheap oem
- Buy OEM Sage ACT Premium 2012
- Discount - Adobe Illustrator CS4 MAC
- Buy Windows 7 For Dummies Quick Reference (en)
- Buy Roxio Toast 11 Titanium MAC (en,fr,de,es,it)
- Download Rosetta Stone - Learn Japanese (Level 1, 2 & 3 Set)
- Buy Adobe Creative Suite 6 Production Premium (32-bit) (en,de,es,fr,it,ja)
- Buy Autodesk AutoCAD Plant 3D 2014 (64-bit) (en,de,fr,ja)
- Download Autodesk AutoCAD MEP 2011
- Buy OEM VMware Fusion 4 MAC
- Buy Cheap Lynda.com - Designing a Book
- Buy OEM Parallels Desktop 9 MAC
|Senator Working to Combat Stolen Valor in Iowa|
|News Releases - Civic News & Info|
|Written by Sen. Shawn Hamerlinck|
|Thursday, 26 August 2010 14:26|
DIXON – After recent headlines of a court ruling in California that protects lying about military honors, Senator Shawn Hamerlinck (R-Dixon) filed legislation this week that prevents disingenuous Iowans from lying in order to profit from prestigious military awards, such as the Purple Heart.
In 2006 Congress passed the Stolen Valor Act which made it a federal crime to lie about receiving medals of honors from the United States military. On August 17th the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in California ruled the Stolen Valor Act unconstitutional in a 2-1 vote citing it violates the First Amendment. The case is being appealed to the Supreme Court.
Appeals Judge Milan D. Smith wrote if the courts upheld the law, "then there would be no constitutional bar to criminalizing lying about one's height, weight, age or financial status on Match.com or Facebook, or falsely representing to one's mother that one does not smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, is a virgin, or has not exceeded the speed limit while driving on the freeway. The sad fact is, most people lie about some aspects of their lives from time to time."
“If upheld as it currently stands, it becomes acceptable for individuals to lie about military service and honors of valor in order to profit in some way,” stated Senator Shawn Hamerlinck (R-Dixon). “Demeaning the Congressional Metal of Honor, Navy Cross, Silver Star and Purple Heart to the weight recorded on a driver’s license is appalling.”
Tags See All Tags