- 9.95$ Lynda.com - HTML5: Video and Audio in Depth cheap oem
- Discount - JoeSoft Hear MAC
- Buy Cheap Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
- 19.95$ Nero 8 Ultra Edition cheap oem
- 19.95$ BeLight Software Art Text 2 MAC cheap oem
- Discount - Microsoft Office 2011 Home & Business MAC
- 249.95$ Autodesk Vault Collaboration 2011 cheap oem
- 19.95$ ABest MPEG VCD DVD Video Converter cheap oem
- Buy Cheap Infinite Skills - Learning 3DS Max 2012
- 99.95$ Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1 (32 bit & 64 bit) cheap oem
- Buy Cheap Nuance OmniPage Professional 17
- Download Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5 MAC
- Buy ActiveState Komodo IDE 5 (en)
|Simon to be recognized for work to end domestic violence|
|News Releases - General Info|
|Written by Kara Beach|
|Monday, 11 March 2013 11:46|
CHICAGO – Lt. Governor Sheila Simon will be honored by Between Friends of Chicago for her years spent helping victims of domestic violence. The organization will name Simon a “Friend of the Year” at its annual Bubble Ball on Saturday at the River East Arts Center.
“This week, President Obama signed an extension of the Violence Against Women Act, reinforcing the idea that all relationships should be healthy,” Simon said. “I have been fortunate to have worked with organizations like Between Friends of Chicago to help the victims of domestic violence rebuild their lives, and we need to continue working to end domestic violence.”
Between Friends of Chicago is a nonprofit agency that provides services to domestic violence survivors and their families. Between Friends also provides youth and adult education programs aimed at preventing domestic violence. Proceeds from the event will support the organization’s efforts.
“Lt. Governor Sheila Simon exemplifies the mission of Between Friends. For example, Lt. Governor Simon’s Virtual Legal Clinic, which uses the Internet and webcams to link domestic violence survivors in underserved areas with volunteer attorneys, is the type of creative thinking we need to helps victims of domestic violence get crucial assistance,” says Kathleen A. Doherty, executive director of Between Friends.
Lt. Governor Simon is a former assistant state’s attorney who worked with victims of domestic violence and prosecuted domestic violence cases. As a law professor, she helped launch the Southern Illinois School of Law's domestic violence clinic to serve clients and train law students. Since becoming Lt. Governor, Simon has worked with the Illinois Coalition Against Domestic Violence (ICADV) to start virtual legal clinics that connect survivors with attorneys through webcam technology. Simon has also partnered with Verizon and the ICADV to raise revenue and collect used cell phones for survivors, and she worked with Sen. Toi Hutchinson (D-Olympia Fields) on a new law that requires adult entertainment establishments to collect a surcharge that supports programs that help sexual abuse victims.
For more information, please visit www.ltgov.il.gov.
Saturday, March 9
EVENT: Between Friends of Chicago’s Annual Bubble Ball
TIME: 7 p.m.PLACE: River East Arts Center, 435 East Illinois St., Chicago, 6061
Tags See All Tags