News Releases -
Sports & Recreation
Written by Laurie Johns
Tuesday, 20 September 2011 11:22
ANF Game Day Celebrates Farmers, Features Former Hawkeye Legends
WEST DES MOINES, IOWA – September 16, 2011 – Iowa Farm Bureau Federation (IFBF) announced today that Farm Bureau members interested in attending the first America Needs Farmers (ANF) Game Day at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City on Oct. 15 can register to win tickets at www.iowafarmbureau.com. The sold-out Big Ten Conference game against Northwestern includes autographs by former Hawkeye legends, including Tim Dwight, Jared DeVries and Marv Cook, along with other special surprises.
“ANF Game Day is an important event for farmers in Iowa. It’s a chance to show the nation and a whole new group of consumers just how important farming is today. We know that in less than a generation, the world’s population will need 100 percent more food than we grow today. Since there is only so much land to grow that food, farmers will have to embrace progress and diversity,” says IFBF President Craig Lang.
Each member who wins the ANF Game Day prize will receive free tickets to the game, ANF merchandise, admission to special tailgating activities and an opportunity for autographs of Hawkeye Legends.
ANF, initiated in 1985 by former Iowa Hawkeye football coach Hayden Fry during the Farm Crisis, is embraced today by Hawkeyes’ current head coach, Kirk Ferentz.
“Farming has changed considerably since the 1980’s,” said Lang. “The way we grow and raise food and energy today has changed dramatically, but so has our need. Much of the nation’s innovation in renewable energy, medicine, building materials and diagnostic tools come from what we grow. The list continues to grow and so does our population, but the goal remains unchanged – making sure consumers have safe, wholesome food choices at the grocery store.”
For a listing of rules and to register, click on www.iowafarmbureau.com by October 3. Winners will be notified within that week. You must be a current member to win. To join Iowa Farm Bureau, visit www.iowafarmbureau.com.
For more information about the Iowa Farm Bureau/U of I ANF partnership, click on www.americaneedsfarmers.org.
News Releases -
Sports & Recreation
Written by Ron Summers
Thursday, 15 September 2011 07:43
The fifth annual urban deer hunt will begin in Davenport on September 10, 2011 and continue through January 29th 2012. This year the special deer management zone will include all areas of three acres or more inside Davenport city limits. Landowner permission is required to hunt on private or public property. The only legal deer license recognized within the Davenport city limits will be a special deer management zone permit. The hunt will be coordinated by Parks and Recreation employee, Mike Reis, who can be contacted at: 563-320-2315.
The City of Davenport has created a special antlerless management zone, for the purpose of controlling the deer population within the City of Davenport. This zone will include all public and private property with a minimum of three acres or more, within Davenport City Limits. To legally hunt deer within this management zone, a special deer management tag must be obtained.
To participate in this deer management zone hunt each hunter must have completed a DNR Hunter Education Course. For information concerning the time and date of this course, please contact: B & B Shooting Supplies, 2152 State Street, Bettendorf, Iowa 52722, Phone: (563) 355–4867. A yearly proficiency test will be required to purchase a deer management zone tag. This test will be offered through B & B Shooting Supplies.
Deer tags may be purchased from:
- B & B Shooting Supplies 2152 State Street, Bettendorf, Iowa 52722
- Farm and Fleet of Davenport 8535 Northwest Boulevard Davenport, Iowa
- Gander Mountain 3940 Elmore Avenue, Davenport, Iowa
Rules and regulations that apply to the Deer Hunt are as follows:
- To reduce arrow flight, it is mandatory that all shots are taken from an elevated position.
- Portable tree stands (provided by the hunter) may be used.
- Care must be taken to minimize damage to trees.
- Harvested animals must be removed intact from the site.
- Hunters agree to maintain a distance of 150 feet away from any occupied building, street, or paved trails.
- To maximize safety, hunters are encouraged to take shots of 75 feet or less.
- No baiting, driving, or stalking of deer is allowed.
- Hunters will observe all regulations of Iowa DNR as pertaining to deer bow hunting.
More information can be found at www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/parks. Within 24 hours of harvest, hunters filling a special deer management tag must contact:
Parks & Recreation Department,
Red Hawk Golf Course
6364 Northwest Blvd
Phone: (563) 320-2315
News Releases -
Sports & Recreation
Written by Davenport Parks and Recreation
Thursday, 01 September 2011 07:45
For all events and activities, go online at www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/parks to register or call 328-PARK (7275) for more information. Fall/Winter catalogs are now available. Please check our website for classes on performing arts, sports leagues, volleyball camps and clinics, Japanese, tumbling, martial arts, adaptive and inclusive programs and more!
Fall Class Sessions begin September 12th. - REGISTER NOW
- Friday Nature Family Fun Nights begins with a Nature Walk on Friday, September 2nd from 6pm-9pm at Sunderbruch Park. The cost is $2.50 per person pre-registered, 4.00 at the door and includes two slices of pizza and lemonade.
- Family Movie Nights Friday, begins September 9th with the showing of Shrek (PG) at Davenport Junior Theater. Doors open at 6pm with the movie to start at 6:15 pm. The cost is $2.50/person if you register in advance or $4.00 at the door. The cost includes 2 slices of pizza and lemonade for each family member. Popcorn will be sold at the theater for $1.00 per bag.
- Prairie Pals youth programs begins at Vander Veer Botanical Park, for all ages begins September 10th from 10am-11:30am. The fee is $5.00. Learn about Iowa's past prairies and find out how prairies grow, who lives in a prairie and plant your own backyard prairie. Games, crafts, and tons of FUN!
- Adaptive Sports Expo - Saturday, September 10th, 6pm-8pm at Bettendorf Community Center, FREE! The public is invited to explore the way that people with disabilities can be an active participant in sports.
- Mississippi GRIND Barge/Skate Park Expo: September 9th - 11th. Clinic Fri at 6:00pm at Skate Park, Qualifier Saturday, September 10th from 5pm Centennial Skate Park, and Sunday, September 11th from 12:00-3:00 see the special Skate Park Barge from LeClaire Park.
- Fall Class Sessions begin September 12th. - REGISTER NOW - classes fill quickly. New classes offered are: Beginning Sign Language, Theater, Zumba, Dance, Quilting and many more!
- Kindernature begins Tuesday, September 13th (runs 9/13-3/13, Tuesdays only) from 10am-11am at Vander Veer Conservatory for ages 3 to 5 years and the fee is $6. Registration is required. Participants may register online or by phone at (563)328-7275. September's Theme: Migrating Monarachs.
- Country Hoedown - Friday, September 16th from 6-8pm at Bettendorf-Veteran's Park. The cost is $4, payable at the door. Cost includes dinner. No rain date or location for this event.
- Family Friday Nights: Friday Night Jam kicks off Friday, September 16th at Red Hawk Golf Course! The fun is for all ages and goes from 6pm-9pm (participants must arrive by 6:30 in order to order dinner). Fee is $2.50 per person for pre-registered person or $4 per person at the door. Fee includes 2 slices of pizza and lemonade for each person. Includes games, board games, karaoke and Wii games for every one!
- Roosevelt Community Center 11th Anniversary: Come join us on Friday, September 16th from 6pm-8pm, as we celebrate the 11th Anniversary of the Roosevelt Community Center. Celebrate with an old fashioned family style and flair with activities and games for everyone!
- Collage Theater begins Thursday, September 17th from 7pm-8pm at Annie Wittenmyer (runs 9/17-11/17) with a fee of $35. This is an introduction to theater specifically designed for teens and adults with disabilities. At the end, the class will perform for the public.
- Sunderbruch Park Nature Walk- Saturday, September 17th from 9am-10:30am. - FREE!
- NFL Punt, Pass & Kick Competition! Saturday. September 17th. This exciting and FREE event allows the youth to compete for a chance to move on to a sectional competition and then on to compete at the home of an NFL team. Participants compete in Punt, Pass and Kick for distance and accuracy. Event will take place at Wharton Field House from 11am-2pm.
- Health Families Day! Saturday, September 17th from 11am-2pm at Wharton Field House. PLAY with your family at this fun health fair for all ages! Games, crafts, booths with different health information for special diets, facts and programs available in the Quad Cities. The event is FREE! We will collect cans for the local food bank. Join us at Wharton Field House for the Quad Cities Wide Punt, Pass and Kick competition!
- QC Family Fun & Kite Festival begins Saturday, September 24th from 10am- 4pm and runs through Sunday, September 25th from 11am-4pm at Centennial Park from kite making, education and viewing of a kite competition. Fee: FREE!
- Birds of a Feather - Saturday, September 24th from 8:30am-10am at Credit Island Park. Fee: $8 per family.
- Unity Fest! Sunday, September 25th from 12pm-5pm at the Putnam Museum "hill". This event is FREE! Help us celebrate the diversity of our community with food, performances, movies and interactive activities. Davenport Parks & Recreation Mobile Playground will be there doing games for children and families!
- Mobile Playground Schedule for September: Saturday Sept 10th at Vineyard Family Fun Festival 11:00 - Friday, September 16th: Roosevelt Community Center 11thAnniversary Celebration; Saturday, September 17th: Healthy Families Day at Wharton Field House in Moline; Saturday, September 24th: QC Kite Festival at Centennial Park; Sunday, September 25th: Unity Fest at Putnam/IMAX.
RIVER'S EDGE- Located at 700 W. River Drive (Across from Modern Woodmen Park)
- Check on line ice schedule for Drop-in Hockey and Stick N' Puck times! www.cityofdavenportiowa.com/parks
- Standing Weekly Public Skate Sessions Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11:00am-1:00pm
- Fee: $5/skating $3/skate rental
- Indoor Soccer leagues begin right after Labor day for all ages U-10 through adults. Sign up Today!
- Girls High School - Sundays
- Boys High School - Fridays
- Men's - Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Women's - Thursdays
- Youth - Saturdays
- 3v3 High School Soccer Tournaments- Men's on September 3rd, Women's on September 4th.
- 7-Week Learn To Skate Lessons - Whether you want to be a better figure skater or hockey player, there is a curriculum for you!
- Thursdays at 5:15pm or 6:00pm- Starts Sept 8th
- Saturdays at 8:00am or 8:45am - Starts Sept 10th
- Quad City Hockey Association - Youth Registration Day - Sept. 10th - starts at noon. Adult Hockey Leagues begin Week Of September 12th. Call Ryan Devlin for details at 563-888-3108
- Quad City Mallards Hockey Clinics on Sept. 10th, 11th, 17th, and 18th. Spend 90 minutes on the ice with new Mallards Hockey Coach, John Bell. Cost: $20/person Limited to the first 24 players
- Creative and Active Kids Klub begins Sept. 10th following 8am Learn to Skate Lessons. The Creative and Active Kids Klub meets Saturday mornings from 9am- Noon, immediately following the 8am Learn To Skate Lessons. This program is designed for kids ages 6 - 12. Kids will enjoy use of the climbing wall, create a unique art project, play interactive group games and participate in a food lesson such as making rice crispy treats; banana pudding, no bake brownies, homemade ice cream and more! Each child will take home a treat to share. *Fee: $84
- NFL 360 Flag Football league begins September 10th- for kids in 4th, 5th and 6th grade.
- Coffee Club - Coffee and skating begins Sept. 12th. Geared towards the more novice skater ages 50+, this program has a strong social component and includes a 15 minute lesson prior to accessing the ice for public skate between 11am - 1pm.
- F Troop - Learn to Play Hockey for Adults begins Sept. 15th. If you've ever wanted to learn to play hockey, this is a safe, fun and social environment to do so. Call Ryan Devlin for details at 563-888-3108
- Couples Dinner and Skate on September 30th from 6:00pm-8:00pm. MENU: Pasta with marinara and/or Alfredo sauce, chicken slices, soft bread sticks, side salad with assorted dressings, soda, water and brownies. Fee: $17/person (includes skates and up to 1.5 - 2 hours of skating) Reservations required 7 days in advance.
- The turf is open for rental anytime it is free from programs! The River's Edge offers batting cages, lacrosse equipment, volleyball systems, and more!
- All City Golf Courses - Annual greens aeration will be completed in September
- Emeis Golf Course will be hosting a golf tournament on September 21st, to benefit the First Tee of the Quad Cities.
- Duck Creek Golf Course will be constructing a new cart-path near the clubhouse on #1 and #9.
- Red Hawk Golf & Learning Center is planning to install additional trees and shrubs along Pine St.
- Visit www.golfdavenport.com for the 2011 Golf fees, latest updates and information
- New fountains/aerators have been installed in the pond at Vander Veer Park.
- Credit Island Disk Golf Course is officially open. Visit Davenport Parks and Recreation's website for course information.
News Releases -
Sports & Recreation
Written by Brittany Marietta
Wednesday, 31 August 2011 08:54
Make the hole - make a difference! Rivermont Collegiate will host its annual Golf Tournament on Monday, September 19th at Crow Valley Golf Club in Davenport. This exciting event will feature co-ed, men’s, and women’s divisions, as well as special hole events and raffle prizes. A dinner with awards and trophies will follow. This event is not limited to Rivermont families - anyone who would like to have a fantastic time while supporting the education of students in their community is encouraged to join us! The tournament supports scholarships and special projects at Rivermont Collegiate, the Quad Cities’ only private, independent, multicultural college preparatory school for students in preschool through twelfth grade.
This year’s tournament features the chance to win a vintage car from Veit’s Vettes & Collector Cars! Qualifying chip off dates for the opportunity to win the car will take place at Palmer Hills Golf Course in Bettendorf on Tuesday Sept. 6th, Wednesday Sept. 7th, and Thursday Sept. 8th. Participants are invited to come multiple days and chip as many times as they like! Participants whose ball makes it in the circle are eligible for the putt contest at the Rivermont Golf Tournament on Monday, September 19th.
Cost to participate in the tournament is $150 and includes lunch, golf, and dinner. Mulligans and raffle tickets for a Galena get-a-way (valued at $600!) are available for purchase. Participants who would like to attend the dinner and after party only may do so for $25. The tournament will begin with check-in at 11:00 a.m., followed by lunch and shotgun start at 1:00 p.m. The putt contest for the vintage car will take place at 5:30 p.m., followed by the after party and awards ceremony at 6:00 p.m.
For additional information and to register, please visit www.rvmt.org/golf and/or contact Drew Boster, Director of Development, at (563) 359-1366 ext. 306 or
For additional information on Rivermont Collegiate, visit us online at www.rvmt.org!
Crow Valley Golf Club, location of the tournament, is located at 4315 E. 60th St. in Davenport.
Palmer Hills Golf Course, location of the qualifying chip off, is located at 2999 Middle Road in Bettendorf.
Veit’s Vettes & Collector Cars features 2 locations – 1838 State St. in Bettendorf and 221 E. 2nd St. in Davenport. For more information, visitwww.vvncc.com.