- Download Efreesky Magic Utilities 2008
- Discount - Infinite Skills - Learning Revit Structure 2014
- Download Adobe After Effects CS6 MAC
- Buy Cheap Adobe SoundBooth CS5
- Download Infinite Skills - Interactivity with HTML5 And CreateJS
- Buy QuarkXPress 8 (zh,da,nl,en,fi,fr,de,it,ja,ko,no,es,sv)
- Buy OEM MathWorks MatLab R2010b
- Discount - 1Click DVD Movie 3
- Discount - Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3
- Buy OEM Adobe ColdFusion 9 Enterprise edition MAC (32-bit)
- Download VMware Workstation 7
- Download Filmmaking For Dummies
- Discount - Microsoft Office 2011 Home & Business MAC
|Undeterred Soldier Returns to Afghanistan|
|News Releases - Military & Veterans News|
|Written by Sgt. Gene Arnold|
|Thursday, 10 January 2013 08:54|
January 09, 2013
by Sgt. Gene Arnold
American Forces Press Service
An explosive ordnance disposal technician from Fort Drum, N.Y., is back in the country where he almost lost his life two years ago.
In March 2011, Wentzell was deployed to Regional Command South, where he cleared improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnance...
Just days after the birth of his daughter, the unthinkable happened. A flash of light, heat and a sudden jolt of energy threw his body backward. He'd stepped on an anti-personnel mine attached to a 25-gallon jug packed with homemade explosives. The mine exploded, but the jug didn't. Still, Wentzell broke his tibia, fibula, heel, ankle and toes, and he was medically evacuated.
"When I came to, I was angry; I wouldn't be able to keep my guys safe," Wentzell said. "I got depressed, because I was leaving my dudes. I knew I could keep them safe -- I wasn't sure about the next guy."
But he added that he considers himself lucky, noting that others had been killed or had lost limbs in explosions of similar mines.
The recovery process was long and hard, Wentzell said, but wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. He credits his determination and fighting spirit for cutting down his recovery time.
Now deployed to Regional Command East, Wentzell said he has decided not to allow that one accident to define him.
"I decided to come back here because I felt my time was cut short and I needed to do this," he said.
Tags See All Tags