· More word on the upcoming new album from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: I heard a terrific advance in a record store the other day. Look for the album, No More Shall We Part, to be available (in addition to the domestic version) as an import-only two-CD set with two bonus tracks and exclusive CD-ROM footage of the band in London's Abbey Road studios. Vinyl purists take heart: The two-LP version also features the bonus tracks.
· Fans who picked up the new Old 97's album Satellite Rides last week probably got a surprise they weren't expecting. The first pressing was issued with a bonus CD featuring one new studio and five live tracks. The live songs, "Victoria," "Barrier Reef," "Valentine," "Nineteen," and "Timebomb" came from sessions at San Francisco's KFOG-FM in 1999.
· Five bonus live tracks are also buzzing around from the Deftones, on their new import-only CD mini-album for the single "Pink Maggit."
· Sludge-rock alert: Things look to get brutal and surreal next month as the Man's Ruin label has announced the issue of Our Darling, the new album from Altamont. This sophomore side project from Dale Crover, drummer for the mighty Melvins, features a cover of "Young Man Blues" and the Heartbreakers' "Pirate Love."
· If over the past few years you've caught any of the Rare on Air CD collections of live performances in KCRW-FM's studios, you know that release of more of the intimate acoustic wonderment is great news. While the past four volumes in this series carried the Mammoth Records imprint, the new collection jumps ship to the Rykodisc/Palm Pictures label and is entitled Sounds Eclectic - named for the legendary Los Angeles radio show that has been graced with a never-ending supply of talent "dropping in." Due April 3, the lineup this time around features Beck, The Dandy Warhols, Willie Nelson, Travis, David Gray, Badly Drawn Boy, Neil Finn of Crowded House, Patti Smith, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and more. Highly recommended.
The Tonight Show with Jay Leno welcomes Tantric on Friday, Lionel Richie on Monday, and Shawn Colvin on Tuesday; The Late Show with David Letterman hosts Aerosmith tonight, Aimee Mann on Friday, and Powderfinger on Monday; Late Night with Conan O'Brien features Supergrass on Monday overnight; and Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher pricks up the ire of John Lydon of Public Image Limited and the Sex Pistols on Tuesday overnight.
New Releases Coming Tuesday, March 27:
... and like the winds, young grasshopper, are subject to change
Tiffany Anders - Happy Cry Funny Gift (Up Records) produced by PJ Harvey after a demo cassette was pressed into her hand
Bilal - 1rst Born Child (Interscope) on tour now with Erykah Badu
Krayzie Bone - Thug on the Line (Epic/Ruthless) new solo album from the Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony member
Bonnie 'Prince' Bonnie - Ease on Down the Road (Drag City) with guests Dave "Papa M" Pajo, Matt Sweeney from Guided by Voices, and Harmony Korine
Billy Bragg & Wilco - Man in the Sand (Rykovision) VHS or DVD documentary on the making of their highly acclaimed Mermaid Avenue album projects
Buckcherry - Time Bomb (Dreamworks) on tour now with Kid Rock
R.L. Burnside - Well, Well, Well (MC Records) odds-and-sods collection featuring a cover of Muddy Waters' "Can't Be Satisfied"
Canela - Canela (Dreamworks) with guest Lil' Mo
Shawn Colvin - Whole New You (Columbia)
D: Fuse - Progressive Mix 1.0 (Moonshine) Austin, Texas, based progressive house DJ on tour this spring with Paul Oakenfold
DJ Brian - Psychtrance 2002 (Moonshine) deep acid house mix CD
Geraldine - Pure Bastard Rock (Orange) high energy punk blues from Athens, Ohio
Ginuwine - The Story (550 Music/Epic)
Ben Harper - Live from Mars (Virgin) two-CD live album featuring covers of Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing," the Verve's "The Drugs Don't Work," and Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"
India.Arie - Acoustic Soul (Motown)
Japancakes - The Sleepy Strange (Kindercore)
Jason & the Scorchers - Rock on Germany (Courageous Chicken) recorded live in 1985 with a fun handful of covers
Kombo - Cookin' Out (GRP) smooth groove Hammond organ-driven jazz featuring covers of War's "Low Rider" and Laura Nyro's "Stoned Soul Picnic"
The Living End - Roll on (Reprise)
Lupine Howl - 125 (Vinyl Hiss/Beggars Banquet) featuring former Spiritualized members Sean Cook and Mike Mooney
Bob Marley - Catch a Fire (Island/Tuff Gong) deluxe edition expanded to two CDs with two completely different mixes of this classic album from 1973
Mice Parade - Mokoondi (Bubble Core)
Monster Magnet - God Says No (A&M)
The Morells - The Morells (Slewfoot) from Springfield, Missouri, featuring two covers of material by Ben Vaughan
Pearl Jam - Domestic Bootleg Series: Second Set (Epic) the final 24 shows from the recently completed U.S. tour
The Posies - Nice Cheekbones & a Ph.D. (Houston Party / Badman) five-track EP featuring a cover of the Byrds' "Lady Friend"
Jesse Powell - JP (MCA)
Rasheeda - Dirty South (Motown)
Redman - Malpractice (Def Jam) with guests D'Angelo and Keith Murray
Diana Ross - The Motown Anthology (Motown) two-CD set featuring hits, mixes, and previously unreleased tracks
The Sadies - Tremendous Efforts (Bloodshot) Saliva - Every Six Seconds (Island)
Tupac Shakur - Until the End of Time (Interscope) two-CD set of previously unreleased tracks recorded during the Makaveli sessions
U2 - Popmart: Live from Mexico City and The Best of 1980-1990 (Island) on DVD for the first time
Neil Young - Neil Young in Berlin (Rhino) DVD and VHS concert from 1983