QUAD CITIES?Volunteers at the seventh annual Xstream Cleanup on Saturday, August 14 removed approximately 50,573 pounds of debris from area waterways and illegal dumping sites. Cleanups were held at 42 locations in Bettendorf, Davenport and LeClaire, Iowa; Campbell's Island, Coal Valley, East Moline, Milan, Rock Island and Silvis, Illinois.
1,243 volunteers worked a total of 3,394 hours and collectively gathered 1,287 bags of trash, 682 tires, 14 appliances, 10 bicycles, 25 pieces of furniture, 13 televisions and 16 mattresses. This was the equivalent of 25,730 pounds of trash, 22,968 pounds of tires, 1,050 pounds of appliances, 195 pounds of televisions, 400 pounds of mattresses and 230 pounds of bicycles for a grand total of 50,573 pounds.
Additional items, reflected in the pounds above, included:
· Automotive-related items (bumper, muffler, van seats, front of car, rims, engine head, doors, battery, gas cans)
· Home items (carpet, shingles, siding, sink, chandelier, storm door, laundry basket, filing cabinet, air conditioner, six grills, four toilets, clothing, blankets)
· Metal (fence, pipe, sheet metal, iron tubes, tools, 80 lb metal chain)
· Kids' items (car seat, sled, swing set, slide, inflatable pool, kite, stroller)
· Large items (farm implements, lawn mower, car, part of a camper, two boats, bench grinder, railroad hand cart)
· Electronics (VCRs, TVs, computers)
· Miscellaneous (tiki light, Bettendorf HS sign, fisherman's basket with fish, traffic light, bowling ball, wheelbarrow, channel buoy, shopping carts, eight barrels, picnic bench, gas station sign, Styrofoam, 5-gallon buckets)
In addition, this year the following locations worked on beautification efforts:
· Nahant Marsh: removed 33 cubic yards of invasive species.
· North High School grounds: pulled 75 invasive trees and shrubs and planted 175 native plants.
· West Lake Park: removed one acre of invasive honeysuckle (the equivalent of 150 mature plants).
· Duck Creek at Middle Park in Bettendorf: removed 40 garbage bags of invasive species.
· Duck Creek at Fairmount in Davenport: removed three 30-yard dumpsters of woody invasive species.
Photos of several cleanup sites can be viewed on-line at www.xstreamcleanup.org.
This event was sponsored by the following:
Presenting Sponsor: Riverboat Development Authority
Platinum Sponsors: Alcoa, iLivehere: myhome ourcommunity, and Living Lands & Waters
Gold Sponsors: Iowa American Water, Community Foundation of the Great River Bend, The Moline Foundation, THE National Bank, Rock Island County Waste Management Agency
Silver Sponsors: Alter Metal Recycling, DHL Global Forwarding, Independent Insurance Agents of Scott County, McCarthy-Bush Corporation, Mel Foster Company, Oystar Packaging Technologies, Quad City Conservation Alliance, Sears Manufacturing
Logistics Sponsors: Cities of Bettendorf, Davenport, East Moline, LeClaire, Milan, Moline, Rock Island and Silvis. Allied Waste, Bi-State Regional Commission, Keep Rock Island Beautiful, Partners of Scott County Watersheds, Radish Magazine, River Roots Live, Waste Commission of Scott County
With Help From: Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Downtown Partnership, Division of Iowa Quad Cities Chamber, Eastern Iowa Grain Inspection, Midas Auto Systems Experts, Wallaces Garden Center