DAVENPORT, IOWA (March 25, 2019) — The summer slide occurs when children tend to fall behind, or slide down, because they don’t have the opportunities to continue building their skills over the summer months. Nearly two-thirds of the ninth grade achievement gap in reading can be attributed to summer learning-loss.
With educational camps at the Putnam Museum and Science Center that are both engaging and fun, students can curb their summer learning loss. The Putnam is adding new summer camps among returning favorites including Harry Potter camp and Flight Academy.
“We’re thrilled to offer camps that are parent-approved and full of learning,” said Octavia Houtekier-Boyd, vice president of education at the Putnam. “They provide kids with a good balance of fun, education and care!”
Returning this year, American Girl camp invites campers to bring their favorite American Girl doll along as they explore the real history and Putnam artifacts these historical characters would have used. Also, Create Your Own Superhero is a new camp where students will learn how to write and illustrate their own comic book.
The summer camp programs are available for youth entering kindergarten through Grade 8. Pre-registration is required as space is limited and certain summer camps, such as Harry Potter camp, quickly sell out.
The full list of summer camps includes:
Weeklong full-day camps
- Harry Potter | June 10-14, 9AM-3PM | Grades 3-5 | Enter the wizarding world by completing Quidditch training and attending classes about potions, charms and more. Plus, this season will include the Triwizard Tournament! Spells & Potions Fee: $10
- Code, Create, Animate! | June 24-28, 9AM– 3PM | Grades 3-5 | Students will learn basic coding for our resident robots and learn how to code an interactive story or create a game using SCRATCH! Plus, this summer, campers will meet the Putnam’s new collaborative robot, Baxter, and learn what it takes to train him.
- Create Your Own Superhero | July 8-12, 9AM-3PM | Grades 4-6 |Campers will learn how to write and illustrate their very own comic book while discovering the world of superheroes. All drawing skill levels are welcomed.
- Survival: Camp Z | July 29-August 2, 9AM-3PM | Grades 4-6 | Gather with other survivalists who hope to hone their awareness and observational skills, while learning wilderness survival tips including edible plants, water-filtration, and first-aid. SOS Handbook Fee: $5
- American Girl | July 1 & 2, 9AM-3PM | Grades 1-3 | Campers should bring their favorite American Girl doll as they discover the real-life adventures of the brave American Girls who helped shape the United States and explore Putnam artifacts the American Girls used during everyday life.
- Artiste de Voyage | July 1 & 2, 9AM-3PM | Grades 4-6 | Campers will learn exciting techniques to make beautiful art projects inspired by cultures from around the globe, including Indonesia, Japan, Mexico and India. Artist fee: $5
Weeklong half-day camps
- Jr Oceanographers | June 3-7, 9AM-Noon | Grades K-2 | Students will discover how the ocean works and learn about the creatures that inhabit the ocean as they figure out the answers to questions such as how animals survive in the deep sea.
- Magic Tree House: Dinosaurs Before Dark | June 17-21, 9AM-Noon | Grades K-2 | Use your imagination to adventure back 65 million years to the Cretaceous Period. Students will enjoy morning story time followed by games, projects and crafts inspired by the mysteries uncovered in the reading.
- Code & Go! | June 17-21, 1-4PM | Grades K-2 | Campers will have fun as they learn to “play” with robots and learn a little about coding and programming along the way.
- Meteorology Mania | July 15-19, 9AM-Nooon | Grades 3-5 | Do you have a passion for meteorology? Join us and other campers as we explore the skies together.
- Flight Academy | July 15-19, 1-4PM | Grades 3-5 | Campers will “fly” alongside the aviation experts of the world, taking quick detours to examine the history of flight as they follow in the footsteps of the Wright brothers and Leonardo da Vinci by creating extraordinary flying machines! Carry-on fee: $5
- Engineering | One day of the following: July 22 (Grades 3-5); July 23 (Grades 6-8); July 24 and 25 (Grades K-2 — half-day, morning and afternoon camps); July 26 (Grades 3-8 – girls day) | This camp is an engaging experience for the young innovator. Sessions include LEGO® robotics, a GIANT Screen 3D film and the opportunity to create and learn side-by-side engineers from Iowa State University and the Quad City Engineering and Science Council.
Weeklong, full-day camps are $175 while weeklong half-day camps are $90. Two-day, full-day camps are $75. Before- and after-care is available for select camps and will incur an additional charge.
To register, visit www.putnam.org/Camps.