With the share of U.S. adults aged 65 and older expected to more than double by year 2060 and nearly 96 percent of elder-abuse cases going unreported every year, the personal-finance website WalletHub conducted an in-depth analysis that identifies 2017’s States with the Best Elder-Abuse Protections.
To determine which states fight the hardest against elder abuse, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 11 key metrics. The data set ranges from share of elder-abuse, gross-neglect and exploitation complaints to presence of financial elder-abuse laws.
Elder-Abuse Protections in Iowa (1=Best; 25=Avg.)
- 6th – Elder-Abuse, Gross-Neglect & Exploitation Complaints*
- 5th – Total Expenditures on Elder-Abuse Prevention*
- 19th – Total Long-Term Care Ombudsman-Program Funding*
- 30th – Number of Eldercare Organizations & Services*
- 10th – Number of Certified Volunteer Ombudsmen*
- 23rd – Nursing-Homes Quality
*Per resident aged 65+
For the full report, please visit: