WEST DES MOINES (July 9, 2020) — The Iowa Health Care Association (IHCA) Foundation has announced the winners of its 2020 scholarship programs. Thirty-three Iowans have been awarded scholarships, totaling $48,000, to pursue an education in health-care. Award-winners included Iowa high-school students, current long-term care employees, and a veteran of the US Air Force Reserve.
"The IHCA Foundation is committed to helping develop experienced professionals to meet the growing needs of Iowans for long-term care. This year, we have expanded our scholarship programs to meet the needs of these professionals, whether they are a student just joining the profession, an experienced veteran who wants to transfer their medical experience to long-term care, or a tenured long-term care employee seeking a higher degree of education. These scholarship programs provide an important opportunity for the recipients to build knowledge and skills in a critically-important profession," said Lori Ristau, executive director, IHCA Foundation. "These scholarship recipients are to be commended for their dedication and commitment to pursuing such a noble profession of helping others."
The IHCA Foundation scholarship program includes four types of scholarships, three of which are new this year. Those scholarships include:
- John W and Kimberly D Grubb RN Scholarship (NEW) — This $3,000 scholarship is sponsored by the John R. and Zelda Z. Grubb Charitable Foundation, and it is for employees of IHCA member organizations pursuing a registered nursing (RN) degree. Two of these scholarships were awarded.
- Juckette Family Veteran Scholarship (NEW) — This $2,000 scholarship, sponsored by the Linda Juckette Family Gift Fund, is for those who have served in the US military, National Guard, or Reserves and are pursuing certified nursing assistant (CNA), licensed practical nurse (LPN), RN, or Certified Dietary Manager programs in Iowa, with the goal of working in long-term care. One of these scholarships was awarded.
- Member Employee Scholarship Program — This $1,500 scholarship is for current employees working for an IHCA member organization and seeking to advance their health-care education. Twenty of these scholarships were awarded.
- High School Student Scholarship (NEW) — This $1,000 scholarship is for Iowa high-school seniors enrolling in a CNA, LPN, RN or bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) program and interested in a career in long-term care. Ten of these scholarships were awarded.
Scholarship applicants are evaluated by the IHCA Foundation Board of Directors based upon the applicant's experience, recommendations and future educational and career goals in long-term care.
John W and Kimberly D Grubb RN Scholarship Winners:
- Melanie Matiyabo, Pleasantview Home, Kalona
- Tayler Schmidt, Chautauqua Guest Homes, Charles City
Juckette Family Veteran Scholarship Winner:
- Hunter Blum, United States Air Force Reserve, Wall Lake, Iowa
Member Employee Scholarship Winners:
- Bethany Ackerson, Crestview Nursing and Rehabilitation, Webster City
- Erin Bahrenfuss, Crestview Nursing and Rehabilitation, Webster City
- Alexis Benion, Unity Point Living Center West, Cedar Rapids
- Marc Blong, IOOF Home and Community Therapy Center, Mason City
- Katelyn DeWald, Buchanan County Health Center, Independence
- Tyler Geopfert, Crestview Nursing and Rehabilitation, Webster City
- Jessica Gray, Summit House Retirement Community, Britt
- Crystal Harrison, Shady Oaks, Lake City
- Kendyl Irwin, Adel Acres, Adel
- Molly Jennings, Sunrise Terrace Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Winfield
- Mikala Kenkel, Elm Crest, Harlan
- Stephanie Kronlage, Lutheran Living Senior Campus, Muscatine
- Saraha LeClair, Maple Heights Nursing Home, Mapleton
- Dora Long, Ambassador Health, Sidney
- Hailey Moreno, Accura Health Care Center, Spirit Lake
- Thea Rentschler, Elkader Care Center, Elkader
- Anne Rosgaard, Fellowship Village, Inwood
- Mikayla Roys, Great River Care Center, McGregor
- Kylie Wilberding, Buchanan County Health Center, Independence
- Marguerite "Meg" Wiley, Clarence Senior Living Center, Clarence
High School Scholarship Winners:
- Carissa Blake, St. Ansgar High School, St. Ansgar
- Bahati Eleson, Herbert Hoover High School, Des Moines
- Hannah Frisch, Durant High School, Durant
- Kerrigan Hatch, BCLUW, Conrad
- Anna Johnston, Waukee High School, Waukee
- Sarah Pech, Starmont High School, Arlington
- Paige Rouse, North Cedar, Clarence
- Sydney Schmitt, Hempstead High School, Dubuque
- Delaney Scholbrock, Crestwood High School, Cresco
- Aaliyah Waggoner, Hempstead High School, Dubuque
These scholarships were made possible by the generous support of these sponsors: John R. and Zelda Z. Grubb Charitable Foundation, Linda Juckette Family Gift Fund, Dave and Susan Dixon, NW IHCA District, Iowa Society of Post-Acute and Long-Term Care, Iowa Council of Nurse Leaders, NE IHCA District, HPSI Purchasing Services, The Vetter Foundation, Right Dose Pharmacy, SW IHCA District, SE IHCA District, VGM Education/CE Solutions, Clarence Nursing Home, Maple Crest Manor and Assisted Living and ACCESS/Backroad Journeys.
About the Iowa Health Care Association Foundation
Founded in 1988 by the Iowa Health Care Association (IHCA), the mission of the IHCA Foundation is to foster excellence in long-term care for Iowans by building a stronger workforce through scholarships, career education and career access programs.