CHAMPAIGN, IL (09/04/2013)(readMedia)--
• Sgt. Shawna Morrison was killed in Iraq on Sept. 5, 2004. She was a member of the Illinois Army National Guard's 1544th Transportation Company based in Paris, Ill.
• The University of Illinois in Champaign, Ill. will recognize Morrison and dedicate a permanent memorial in the north courtyard of Lincoln Hall in her memory.
• September 8, 2013 at 3:00 p.m.
• University of Illinois campus, Lincoln Hall Theater, 702 S. Wright St in Urbana, Ill.
• Shawna Morrison was a student at the University of Illinois and was the first female from the Illinois National Guard killed while serving in Iraq. She was also the first Illinois student actively enrolled in college to die in combat operations.
• Brig. Gen. Daniel Krumrei, the Adjutant General of the Illinois National Guard, will join Lt. Gen. Patricia Horoho, Army Surgeon General and Thomas Lamont, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Manpower and Reserve Affairs at the event.
The event is open to the public. RSVPs are requested, but not required at http://www.go.illinois.edu/
Become our Facebook Fan!