2023 Central Student Award winners, from left: Averi Shride ('26), Greg Ricketts ('23), Hailey Hill ('23), Gloria Montiel ('23), Abigail Westercamp ('25), Elizabeth Hurlbut ('23), and Tyler Fitzpatrick ('24)
PELLA, IOWA (May 26, 2023) — Central College's Student Development office released the 2023 student leadership awards. This year 95 nominations were received from students, staff and faculty. A panel of faculty and staff reviewed the nominations and selected awardees.
Central recognized outstanding students and groups during the annual leadership awards program.
- Annual Theme (Engaged Citizenship) Award: Elizabeth Hurlbut, Class of 2023
- Bridge Builder Award: Quinn Deahl, Class of 2023
- Diversity and Inclusion Award: Hailey Hill, Class of 2023
- Organizational Excellence Award: Central Rugby Club, which made it to nationals for three consecutive years (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Outstanding Event Award: Student-Athlete Advisory Council's Mental Health Talk with Lyndsey Fennelly
- Outstanding New Leader: Abigail Westercamp, Class of 2025, and Averi Shride, Class of 2026
- Senior Student Development Award: Gloria Montiel, Class of 2023
- Service Award: Greg Ricketts, Class of 2023
- Student Organization Advisor of the Year: Jaycee Smith, student involvement coordinator, and Oscar Reynaga, senior lecturer of Spanish and class dean
- Unsung Hero Award: Tyler Fitzpatrick, Class of 2024
Central also honored the 2023 National Society of Leadership and Success inductees:
Grant Beach, Class of 2024; Riley Davidson, Class of 2024; Kenedie Gabrielson, Class of 2025; Taylor Hanna, Class of 2025; Silas Harris, Class of 2025; Jason Hermann, Class of 2025; Eli Park, Class of 2024; Marshall Quast, Class of 2025; Ashley Robbins, Class of 2023; Caroline Shelton, Class of 2024; Tiffany Smith, Class of 2025; Collin Swantz, Class of 2025; Grace Teig, Class of 2023; Taylor Thomas, Class of 2024; Broderick Toth, Class of 2025; Fynn Wadsworth, Class of 2025; Abigail Westercamp, Class of 2025; and Abigail White, Class of 2025.
Central College of Pella, Iowa, is a private, four-year liberal-arts college. Central is known for its academic rigor and leadership formation and for cultivating diversity of thought and culture through the arts and sciences, professional fields of study, and experiential learning.