The Muscatine Art Center holds tens of thousands of objects in its collection. Like many museums, only a small percentage - as little as one percent - of the collection is on view at any given time.
On Thursday, September 11, 2013, the Muscatine Art Center will offer behind-the-scenes collection storage tours for those interested in seeing the storage area and learning how the staff documents, cares for and manages the collection. The tour is from 5:30 to 6:45 P.M. Space is limited to 12 people and registration is taken on first come, first served basis.
Don't miss this opportunity to see stored treasures from the Art Center's permanent collection. Join a tour group for a truly unique experience as you hear about how the museum operates from the inside out and have your individual questions answered by staff.
- Rarely seen "cool stuff" from the Art Center - art objects and artifacts that tell fascinating stories about Muscatine and/or the region.
- Main collection storage areas and hidden storage areas in the Musser Museum.
- Textile and print storage.
- The original Musser Carriage House and Musser Museum basement.
- Explanation of how museums keep track of collections.
- Tours are limited to a maximum of 15 people. Please indicate the tour time you would like to be a part of.
- Tours are for adults and children over 12 years of age (12-16 year olds need to be accompanied by an adult).
- Tour duration is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- As a courtesy to other participants, please be on time.
- Physical accessibility is somewhat limited with the full behind-the-scenes tour including narrow stairs. Please notify us at the time of booking of any special requirements.
- For security reasons, you may not take mobile phones, cameras, videos, other electrical equipment, bags, food or drinks on the tour. All personal items must be checked before the tour departs.
Call NOW to reserve a place in the Muscatine Art Center's Behind-the-Scenes experience!
What: Muscatine Art Center's Behind-the-Scenes Collections Storage Tour
Who: Hosted by MAC staff
When: Thursday, May 9, 2013
Times: 5:30-6:45 PM
Where: The Muscatine Art Center
Admission to this tour is FREE.
Please contact Melanie Alexander, Director, with any questions or concerns at
The Muscatine Art Center is located at 1314 Mulberry Avenue in Muscatine, Iowa. Hours are Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Thursday evenings until 7:00 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Admission is free. Donations are appreciated. Go to www.muscatineartcenter.org for more information about programs and events and to download a class brochure.