September 27, 2010

Skip-a-Long Child Development Services is naming its "Business Volunteer of the Year" as part of its 40th birthday party today. Also on hand for the celebration are Representative Pat Verschoore and Rock Island Dennis Mayor Pauley.

Skip-a-Long Child Development Services opened its doors forty years ago--on August 24th --with one student and grant monies from the state, local  churches, individuals, businesses and the Deere Foundation. Today there are four campuses in the Quad Cities serving more than 900 children on a daily basis.

As a way to celebrate its past and look forward to its future the centers are hosting birthday parties during the month of September and organizers are putting out the call for all alumni to come visit the campus they attended years ago.

The Rock Island party will take place from 12:00 pm until the center closes with a cookout for all alumni, parents and staff. There is a short awards program at noon to recognize family and business volunteers. State Representative Pat Verschoore and the Mayor Dennis Pauley, will speak at the program and then cut the special birthday cake for all the children. The media is invited to attend.

WHO: Rock Island Skip-a-Long Child Development Center WHAT: Birthday party with dignitaries, alumni, staff and friends

WHEN: Monday, September 27th party at the Rock Island campus (1609 4th Street) Noon cookout and program with Mayor Pauley and Rep. Verschoore

WHY: To celebrate the oldest child care center in the Quad Cities

Quad City residents are invited to recycle their 'gently worn' shoes for people in need

Nashville, TN - DATE - Every 9 seconds, Soles4Souls Inc. gives away another pair of shoes to someone in need.  The shoe charity has earned glowing endorsements from Hollywood stars and professional athletes, but the people that truly make the non-profit organization effective are those who clean out their closets to personally drop off their 'gently worn' shoes at a participating location, such as the QC Child Development Center.

For a limited time, Soles4Souls and Quad Cities Child Development Center will be collecting your gently worn footwear and/or donations to ship the shoes to a person in need, whether they are victims of a natural disaster or subject to living in extreme poverty.  It is estimated that Americans have 1.5 billion pairs of unused shoes lying in their closets.  The charity can use each and every one of these pairs to make a tangible difference in someone's life.

"We can use the shoes taking up space in your closet to change the world one pair at a time," said Founder and CEO of Soles4Souls, Wayne Elsey.  "We need our partners in the Quad Cities to 'STEP UP' and get behind our call for action.  It's one of the most simple yet profound gifts you can make, because it will greatly improve someone's life in the most difficult of times," he said.

Come to the Quad Cities Child Development Center, 4959 Utica Ridge Road, Davenport, October 29, 2010, 3:00-5:00 pm

People and companies interested in donating can visit the organization's website at


MILWAUKEE, WI - As top designers head to New York Fashion Week, look no further than Younkers stores to get the latest trends for fall.  With the semi-annual Goodwill Sale taking place from September 15-29 at Younkers stores, now is the best time to update your wardrobe for the new season.  Customers who make Goodwill donations of clean, gently-used clothing and home textiles at Younkers stores will receive discount coupons toward the purchase of new merchandise.

Donations will be sold in Goodwill stores, where the revenues fund job training programs, career and other community-based services for people with disabilities, those who lack education or job experience and others facing challenges to finding employment.  Donating the things you no longer need to Goodwill is a simple way to give back to your community and make room for these top ten fall fashion trends to update your wardrobe.

Top Ten Fall Fashion Essentials

1. Embellished tops with jewelry, sequins and zipper trims

2. Military inspired utility jackets with hardware detail

3. Fur details?on vests, jackets, collars and bags

4. Over the knee boots

5. Accessories with attitude--bold statement necklaces, flirty handbags with feminine detail

6. Chunky Infinity scarves

7. Ruffles & ruffle detail on cardigans, tops and vests

8. Long over lean Tunic tops with skinny pants or jeggings

9. Color trends include Neutrals, like camel, grey and olive green, with punches of red, deep purples and rusty oranges

10. Rich luxe fabrics, from lace to velvet to brocade and lots of sequin detai

One coupon is given per item donated. The coupon can be used at Younkers locations for 20-percent off regular or sale price apparel, fine jewelry, shoes and accessories, and 15-percent off cosmetics, fragrances and home store merchandise. Certain items, including furniture, electronics and toys, qualify for a 10-percent discount.

"When you donate to Goodwill, you are helping people in your community find jobs and care for their families," said Jim Gibbons, president and CEO of Goodwill Industries International.  "The Goodwill Sale with Younkers helps communities grow stronger by providing a boost in donations that allows Goodwill to continue providing the employment services people need to be independent."

"The Goodwill Sale allows our customers to get new fall fashion merchandise at outstanding values and at the same time support a great cause," said Bud Bergren, president and chief executive officer of The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc.  "The Goodwill Sale exemplifies our commitment to the communities in which we operate."

Customers who register their donations on will receive a 25 percent off coupon to use during the Goodwill Sale.  You can also play the site's "Spin to Win Instant Win Game" daily for a chance to win a $100 gift card, and be automatically entered in the sweepstakes for a chance to win a shopping spree worth $1000.

Goodwill Industries International is a network of 165 community-based agencies in the United States and Canada with 14 affiliates in 13 other countries. Goodwill is one of North America's top five most valuable and recognized nonprofit brands as well as a leading social services enterprise (Source: Cone Nonprofit Power Brand 100, 2009). Goodwill agencies are innovative and sustainable social enterprises that fund job training programs, employment placement services and other community-based programs by selling donated clothing and household items in more than 2,400 retail stores and online at Local Goodwill agencies also build revenue and create jobs by contracting with businesses and government to provide a wide range of commercial services, including packaging and assembly, food service preparation, and document imaging and shredding. In 2009, nearly 2 million people in the United States and Canada benefited from Goodwill's career services. Goodwill channels 84 percent of its revenues directly into its programs and services. To find a Goodwill location near you, use the online locator at, or call (800) 741-0186. Twitter: @GoodwillIntl. Facebook: GoodwillIntl.


The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc., with corporate headquarters in York, Pennsylvania and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, operates 278 department stores, which includes 11 furniture galleries, in 23 states in the Northeast, Midwest and upper Great Plains under the Bon-Ton, Bergner's, Boston Store, Carson Pirie Scott, Elder-Beerman, Herberger's and Younkers nameplates and, in the Detroit, Michigan area, under the Parisian nameplate. The stores offer a broad assortment of national and private brand fashion apparel and accessories for women, men and children, as well as cosmetics and home furnishings. The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc is an active and positive participant in the communities that it serves. The Goodwill Sale event is long standing charitable partnership the Company developed to support its Hometown commitment and build strong communities.  For further information, please visit the investor relations section of the Company's website at

2010 Celtic Highland Games Schedule by Area

Saturday, Sept 18th at Centennial Park, Davenport

Heavy Games - Scottish Athletics: The Caber Toss, Hammer Throw and More!

8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Athletics Field - competitions in several stone throws: weight over bar and weight for distance, hammer throw, sheaf toss and the caber toss.

The day ends with the just-for-fun Irish Keg Toss.


Three bagpipe bands playing at various times all day around the grounds. Featuring: Celtic Cross Pipes and Drums, of Peoria; Blackhawk Pipe Band, of the Quad Cities, and Turlach Ur, an award-winning pipe and drum band out of Grinnell, Iowa.

4:30 ish - Gathering of the Pipe Bands, playing in rounds and then as one. Who's your favorite? Vote with applause as the bands try to out-do one another.

Highland Dance in the Entertainment Tent

8:30 am
9:00 am
1:00 pm
1:30 pm

Trophies sponsored by the Scottish American Society of the Quad Cities!

Bonnie Knees . . Right after the Parade of Tartans

Bonnie Knees Which man has the best legs? 12:30 p.m.

Stay for the haggis howl and wellie toss, too!

Entertainment Tent - East end of festival grounds

Following the Highland Dance Competition:  Mullane Healy O'Brien Irish Dance Academy performances

5:30 p.m. on - Evening Music, $5. See list below!

Evening Music in the Entertainment Tent - Just $5 for over 6 hours of entertainment!

5:30 - Barley House Band - Irish roots and American branches, a Quad City favorite!
7:00 - Laura and the Lads- Music of Ireland, Scotland, England, France and Northern Spain.
MacKenzie plays a variety of wind instruments and voice, with the lads on percussion, bass,
fiddle, guitar and clarinet.
9:30 - Highland Reign - High-energy progressive Scots-American Celtic music with plenty of
rockin' Scottish tunes.

Workshops and Demonstrations - southeast corner of the festival grounds

10 a.m. to 11 a.m.- Celtic Knot Class: Come and learn the history and motifs of Celtic knot work, see examples by master knot work artists, and try making some knots of your own! These infinite knots where thought to represent eternity to Celtic monks, come discover what they might mean to you.

Primary/Beginner/Novice Registration
Primary/Beginner/Novice Competition Begins
Intermediate/Premier Registration
Intermediate/Premier Competition Begins

10:30 to 11:30 - Cloggers - Learn traditional dances, made famous by Scots-Irish immigrants to the mountains of America

1 p.m. to 2 p.m. - Hammered Dulcimer workshop with Reg & Linda Shoesmith.

2:15 p.m.- Joe Nobiling, Celtic fiddler with an American accent, Joe Nobiling will provide a presentation on the role of Celtic fiddle tunes and songs during the American Civil War. Beware: should attendees have instruments in hand (or cases) a mini-session is liable to result! John Kinser will be accompanying Joe on bodhran and Heather Nobiling on spoons and vocals.

All day:

Weaving & Spinning demos by Valley Spinners & Weavers- The guild is dedicated to providing guidance, inspiration, continuing education and fellowship to weavers and spinners. Membership is open to all skill levels and provides on-going mentoring and study-group opportunities. They meet on the first Tuesday of most months, at Hauberg Civic Center in Rock Island.

Historic dances and reels, taught by Step Back in Tyme. Enjoy period music as you learn and perform historic dances from the 1700-1800's ranging from English country dances, Scottish Reels, and early American line dances.

What Else is Going On?

Noon: Parade of Tartans around the field. Check in at Clan Row by 11 a.m. to participate as a family group.

Clan Heritage Tents - Meet representatives of Irish and Scottish families, along with organizations of Welsh/Cornish, Irish and Scottish heritage groups.

Vote for the best clan tent! Get your ballot at the clan headquarters tent.

Vendor Row: Stop by for something good to eat or bring home a souvenir of your day!

Beer, pop and water will be available from the Celtic Festival Beverage tents. Yes, that includes Guinness & Smithwick!

Family Fun - Children's Games, Crafts and Living History Camps

Family Activities Tent - Activities sponsored by Modern Woodmen of America

10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Stop by anytime for fun family activities and make-and-take crafts for kids. Lots of smiles to go around. All activities are free!

Kingdom of Andorra Living History Camp- north side of the festival grounds

9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with scheduled talks throughout the day

Sharing an area are two activities that will be sure to attract attention all day long:

Belegarth Medieval Combat Society

Come join the fun with a safe, and inexpensive sport where participants wear medieval or fantasy-themed clothing and fight with foam-padded weapons. The fighting is hard and fast and has, since 1979, refined into its own brand of martial art. The rules are easy to learn, and after a few practices, you'll be hooked!

Quad City Irish Rugby - Teams will play at 10 a.m., 12:45 p.m., and 2:30 p.m.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 - St. John's Lutheran Church parking lot  - Noon to 5:00 P.M. - Rain or shine

(Rock Island, IL) - The 18th Annual East End Neighborhood Fair will be held on Saturday, September 11, 2010 from noon to 5:00 p.m. at St. John's Lutheran Church, 4501 7th Avenue, Rock Island.

It is a neighborhood fair sponsored by organizations serving students attending Longfellow School and residents living in Keystone and surrounding Rock Island and Moline neighborhoods.

The purpose of the fair is to provide safe and fun activities for people of all ages at a minimal cost. It is also a chance for people to learn about area wide community services and programs.

Included in plans for the fair is a petting zoo, magician, jugglers, electric car display, bouncing house, elasto-run, and many games for children. Music will be provided. Food and beverage booths will also be plentiful. Community Caring Conference (CCC) will be present to provide child identification documents for parent's safe keeping.

The KeyStone Neighborhood Association will be sponsoring their annual FREE plant exchange. Fair attendees are encouraged to bring a house or outdoor plant to exchange for another type of plant.

Community agencies will have informational material regarding their programs and services.

Make plans to attend this annual neighborhood event. If you can volunteer the day of the fair, please contact Karen Anderson, Volunteer Coordinator, (309) 737-6125 or

September event to feature 19th century architecture

GALENA, Ill. - Autumn is always a popular time to visit scenic Galena, but add the chance to tour inside five private historic homes and the lure becomes irresistible.  Architecture, interior decorating, antiques and history are featured elements of the 43rd annual Tour of Historic Galena Homes showcasing five private homes plus the Galena History Museum. A signature event for the Galena-Jo Daviess County Historical Society, the tour runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., rain or shine, both Saturday and Sunday, September 25 & 26, 2010.

Built in 1870 by Otis Horton, a prominent local contractor, the Italianate Horton-Eustice House cost $2,500 to build. Two generations of the Eustice family, who made their fortune in the Galena Axle Grease Company, lived in this home almost 80 years, beginning in 1910. The Eustices replaced the narrow Victorian porch with a generous Craftsman-style porch, creating an airy outdoor living space for wicker furniture, art and plants. The stucco exterior was recently repainted in Victorian colors. After dreaming of living in historic Galena for 13 years, the current owners purchased the spacious two-story home in 1999, relocating from California. The interior is decorated in proper Victorian style with Lincrusta-Walton wallpapers and antiques. The spacious vintage kitchen features a 1923 monitor-top refrigerator, Hoosier cabinet, bin table, St. Charles cabinets and an antique stove. Recently restored sun porches face the river and provide a scenic view of Galena.

In 1845 Andrew Telford built what is now one of Galena's oldest homes, Telford House, facing the Galena River. It has not been open to the public for several decades. A graceful example of Greek Revival architecture, its exterior has changed little since 1845. Previous owners carefully restored and updated the interior and added a screened porch. The current owners are committed to its preservation, and have undertaken minor renovations. The interior houses British antiques appropriate to the original and current owners, including English porcelain, brass candlesticks, and 18th and 19th-century watercolors. Hand-embroidered crewel fabric draperies, imported from London, frame the tall windows. Near its Park Avenue façade, the original covered well has a storybook charm. Nearby stands the oldest surviving Galena street lamp.

Colonel Darius Hunkins arrived in Galena in 1838 to superintend the Illinois Central Railroad. In 1842 he engaged in mining and smelting, and in 1847 he built the Spring and Meeker Street bridges. He used part of his fortune to build an elegant Greek Revival mansion named the Hunkins House in 1846. An 1877 addition on the back connected the house and its close neighbor through a doorway (now bricked in) as the Hunkins' daughter and her husband were given the adjoining home as a wedding gift. The current owners purchased the home in 1998 and turned it into an opulent, high Victorian bed and breakfast named Annie Wiggins Guest House with seven guest rooms. Original wood trim, fireplaces, and plank flooring?some 24" wide?present an historic ambiance while new luxurious bathrooms and finest linens make this home casual and comfortable for guests. Cozy side porches with wicker furniture and comfy pillows are surrounded by lush gardens, fountains, and statuary.

The DeZoya House, a comfortable federal brick home, was built in 1838 by John P. DeZoya and his wife Anna Maria. Mr. DeZoya came to Galena from Switzerland, where he had been a lieutenant in Napoleon's army. The current owners purchased the house in 2008 and completely renovated the interior. With the original floors uncovered and restored, this cozy home is tastefully decorated with antiques, including Scandinavian and historic items. A two story addition, containing a single car garage and master bedroom suite, was added in 2009. The addition was one of the three finalists for the 2010 Galena Annual Historical Preservation Award. The house is set on a 1 1/4 acre park-like setting on the edge of town bordered by Davis Creek. Visitors to the DeZoya house will likely agree that it is a wonderful blend of old and new and understand why the owners affectionately refer to her as "Windows and Spindles."

Just five minutes from Galena, the Muchow Farmstead is a Craftsman-style house with scenic vistas that has been home to four generations. Built in 1931, this home replaced a previous one destroyed by fire just sixteen days after the first Muchow family moved in. Only the original limestone foundation, which turned a lovely pinkish hue when exposed to the fire, remains; it is now incorporated into the lower level family room. Like many rural farmsteads, there was no electricity until 1941; no plumbing until 1951. The current generation has lived in the home for 20 years. The family connection is palpable in photographs and heirlooms. Country antiques are creatively displayed with a casual flair, anchored by original honey-colored wood flooring. Cottage-style flower and vegetable gardens grace the spacious yard dotted with red outbuildings and a pen of geese. A dedicated canning kitchen preserves the seasonal abundance from this bucolic farmstead steeped in family tradition.

A free shuttle service will operate between all tour homes and ticket locations. Tour guides, many in period attire, will provide historic narrative at each home. Free admission to the Galena History Museum is included with the home tour ticket and will include a behind-the-scene guided tour of the 1858 mansion/museum's non-public areas. During the home tour, the museum will be hosting a new temporary exhibit entitled "Citizen Grant: 1860-61," showcasing the Ulysses S. Grant family's pre-Civil War year of residency in their new home town.

The 43rd annual Tour of Historic Galena Homes is sponsored by the Galena - Jo Daviess County Historical Society. Tickets are $14, $12 in advance (before September 15); children under 10 are free with an adult. Tickets and maps are available tour weekend at the Old Train Depot Visitor Information Center at 100 Bouthillier St., the DeSoto House Hotel at 230 S. Main St., the history museum at 211 S. Bench St. and any home on the tour. Advance tickets (non-refundable) are available at the Galena History Museum, or phone (815) 777-9129 to purchase by credit card.

For further event information, contact the Historical Society at (815) 777-9129 or visit Additional area offerings and visitor information may be found at the Galena/Jo Daviess County Convention and Visitors Bureau at or by calling (877) Go-Galena. While in town, visit the CVB's Old Train Depot Visitor Information Center at 101 Bouthillier St. (corner of Park Avenue) for on-site assistance and countywide information.


MOLINE, ILLINOIS - WQPT hosts their annual fundraiser, Brew Ha Ha at LeClaire Park in downtown Davenport on Saturday, September 18th from 1 to 5 p.m.  A wide variety of ales, pilsners, and porters are available for tasting as well as cheeses provided by Cabot Creamery Cooperative of Vermont.

Musical performances for the 11th annual event will be performed by Corporate Rock, while Comedy Sportz returns to provide their own brand of improvisational merriment at 2:30 pm.   New this year is a variety of games for attendees to try their hand at, like the Beer Bottle Ring Toss and the Golf Ball Stack. Admission to Brew Ha Ha includes an event program, unlimited tasting, and a commemorative tasting glass.

Presenting Sponsors for Brew Ha Ha are Old Chicago, Rock 104.9, River Cities Reader, Rhythm City Casino and Riverboat Development Authority, along with Dimitri Wine & Spirits, Inc., Glazer's Distributors of Iowa, Miller Lite, Budweiser, KWQC, City of Davenport, Mediacom, and Cabot Creamery Cooperative. With additional support from Comedy Sportz, Hawkeye Ice, Iowa American Water, Iowa QC Chamber Downtown Partnership, Millennium Waste, Quad City Golf Cars and Sunbelt Rentals.

Tickets for Brew Ha Ha are $20.00 prior to the event and $25.00 at the gate. "We are continuing our tradition of keeping ticket sales capped so that our attendees are able to try as many of the tastings as possible," said WQPT Special Projects Coordinator, Bea Brasel. Tickets may be purchased at the WQPT offices at 3800 Avenue of the Cities, Suite 101, Moline, Old Chicago in Bettendorf, CO-OP Records in Davenport and Moline (add a $1.00 service fee at CO-OP locations) or at Attendees must be 21 or older. Children in strollers and animals will not be admitted. Feel free to bring your own lawn chair.

Brew Ha Ha is a fundraising event to support WQPT, the local public television station serving eastern Iowa and western Illinois.

# # #

Mark Your Calendar!  Tom Cordaro , author of "Be Not Afraid," is presenting a Seminar: Be not Afraid: An Alternative to the War on Terror, Living Unafraid: a Biblical Path to Freedom.

Tom has worked for many years at the National level of Pax Christi. He organized anti-war disarmament, economic justice and peace campaigns. Tom has a Masters Degree in pastoral studies from St. Thomas University, Miami, Fl.

  • Seminar Date: Sat. Sept 11, 2010 from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

  • Place: St. Ambrose University, Davenport, Iowa in the New Hall Building lower level at the corner of Gaines and Lombard Streets. Parking is available across Gaines St.

  • Early registration: $8.00. Call Ollie 563-332-1007 - at the door $10.00 Students with ID free.

  • Sponsors: Pax Christi QC, Sisters of Humility, Davenport, IA, Sisters of St. Benedict, Rock Island, IL, Ambrosians for Peace and Justice, Davenport, IA.

Be Not Afraid;  An Alternative to the "War on Terror", Tom Cordaro

Grounded in history and a faith tradition, Be Not Afraid invites us to overcome the narrative of fear in our country promoted by the "War on Terror" and the attacks of September 11, 2001. Instead, we are called to embrace an alternative narrative of hope and freedom. This alternative requires that we, as individuals and as community members, act to reclaim the civic and religious principles at the core of our national story, principles that can build genuine peace rooted in justice at home and around the world

Named "Best Book by a Small Publisher" in 2008 by the Catholic Press Association and "Peacemaker of the Year" award from the Independent Publishers.

We are often told that the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001, changed everything and that we must support an endless, ongoing "War on Terror." But is this what we are called to as Christians? What if we chose a different path? What if the fear-based story?the narrative?we are asked to believe is not the only alternative?

In this challenging book, long-time peace activist Tom Cordaro helps us first to understand terrorism in a historical context and to examine the story we are told we must believe after 9-11. Then, he outlines what the creation of an alternative story might look like.

We need to tell such a different story, one grounded in the underappreciated and often unacknowledged U.S. history of a democratic republic founded on principles and ideals now under attack by the "War on Terror," a story that continues the work-in-progress of our country, a nation continually striving to more fully live up to its ideals. This alternative story is based not on fear or on a view of peace as enforced order, but on the concept of peace as an enterprise of justice. We need to tell this different story, a story linked to our great Christian narrative: the hope and promise of God as revealed in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.

This book invites us to overcome the narrative of fear in our country. It invites us instead to embrace a narrative of hope and to play an active role, as individuals and as members of a community, in reclaiming our U.S. story from those who would seek to delete it.

Updated and reissued 2010--with a new preface addressing the Obama Administration.

Opa! Delicious cuisine, pastries, a wine tasting and Greek music will highlight the festivities as St. George Greek Orthodox Church in Rock Island invites the community to the sixth "Big Fat Greek Festival" on Friday and Saturday, September 17 and 18.

Food will be served from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday in the church's Gold Room, with seating in and outside.  Admission is $2, kids under 12 are free. The church will again offer a drive-through window for Greek food to go.

A cash bar will be open with beer and wine available. Baklava sundaes will be sold outside, under the big tent; and an extended children's area will host games, prizes and  inflatable bounce houses. The kids' area will be open 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday.

Scheduled events include :

*Greek music by Manoli Productions

*Performances by the Hellas Dancers from Chicago.

*Saturday wine tasting hosted by Dimitri Wine and Spirits (5:30 p.m-7 p.m.)

* Large boutique area with Greek souvenirs, jewelry and more.

This year the festival corresponds with the church's 100th anniversary. "This year we feel especially blessed as our parish celebrates its Centennial," said Father Leo Gavrilos.

Proceeds from the event will benefit the church. For more information, call
309-786-8163. St. George is located at 2930-31st Ave. (corner of 31st Avenue and 30th St.) in Rock Island.


Monday, August 23, 2010, is the entry deadline for the 2010 Rock Island Labor Day Parade. The 26th annual event is scheduled for Monday, September 6, 2010.

This year's Labor Day Parade theme is "Learning Comes to Life!" It was selected to acknowledge the many ways we learn or receive education. Ideas to consider include walking books, an entry honoring teachers, a float inspired by music or a painting, dancing computers, a particular story brought to life, members of a team, a family on vacation, or graduates of a particular class or program.

Non-theme related entries are always welcome. The Labor Day parade provides an excellent opportunity to promote an organization, to announce a special promotion, or to call attention to an upcoming special event.

Parade organizers are excited about the number of musical groups returning to this year's line-up. The Western Illinois University Marching Band will be back for a 12th year along with high school marching bands from Alleman and Rock Island. The outstanding Metropolitan Drill Team or "MetroSteppers" and the Blackhawk Bagpipers are also returning to the line-up.

Staging for the parade begins at 8:30 a.m. in the area around Washington Junior High School, located at 33rd St. and 18th Ave., with the start of the parade set at 9:30 a.m. The parade route travels west along 18th Ave., beginning at 33rd St., turns left on 24th St., and then right on 25th Ave. and disbands into the parking areas at Rock Island High School at 25th Ave. and 17th Street. The parade route is approximately two miles long.

The first Rock Island Labor Day Parade was held in 1984 as part of the Rock Island's Sesquicentennial (150th Birthday) Celebration. Over the past 26 years, the parade has grown into a popular event that averages 150 entries and draws thousands of spectators.

Interested parties should contact the City of Rock Island at 732-2923 for more information. Parade information and an entry form are also available from the City's website at